Highschool or Daycare? | Teen Ink

Highschool or Daycare?

May 23, 2018
By JonathonH BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois
JonathonH BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Why am I forced to come to this place? This place that stresses me out. This system that doesn’t teach me much. It teaches me how to argue with evidence and problem solve, but that’s about as deep as it gets. However, these skills are important and taught by school, but they can be taught while teaching better material. Material that is used in the daily lives of people. This school system hasn’t helped me further myself, nor has it given me much hope for a great future. While everything is evolving into bigger better things in the world, school is staying the same. The advancements they make are, Boards that the teacher can show videos on and draw on but every time you need to draw, it’s uncalibrated which takes 5 minutes to fix. Also, there are new chairs that are go kart like and allow more talking with friends to distract yourself.


But what about the strategies of how you learn? I learn how to understand and use certain information for about 1 or 2 weeks until my quiz. After the quiz, I look over maybe a paper about the information I learned just to get an A on a final to end up forgetting the information and never use it again. Why do I learn Lewis dot structures and properties of logarithms? In my future I want to do something with sports or vehicles, these lessons won’t help me in my future unless, I somehow remember a little of it and help my child with their homework about it.These advisors who should be guiding me for the better of my future and the future of the world but all they do is waste my time in this daycare. I know I can make a better future than a student with a 4.0 gpa. Maybe I don’t look as smart on paper, but maybe you’re looking at the wrong thing. Maybe you need to look at the person’s hobbies or skills to see their smarts. I know much more about baseball than I do in science, but just because I don’t finish as many pieces of homework as a student who doesn’t do after school curriculums, doesn’t mean I’m less smart.


In the daycare system the advisors do play favorites, advisors do raise grades because someone asks. Since when is a student smart because they were able to complete work? There are classes that you pass because you did all the homework, but the homework doesn’t get graded just checked for completion. So when students realize a teacher consistently does this they take advantage of the opportunity and just scribble random answers. Why do these advisors not teach in class but instead ask if you have questions on the homework? Now that the internet is so accessible, why don’t we just get taught online because, I’ve learned whole units for classes off of YouTube because, the advisor just gave us a link and a paper with questions on it to do during class.


These advisors want you to do Work outside of class because in class, they don’t have enough time teach you. But honestly, in class that day or the next you spend the whole day going over what you “did” even though your advisor said you didn’t have class time to do it. They often say, “in life you need to be able to go home and finish your work” which is true, but I believe, more often than not, the advisor just didn’t feel like caring about their job enough to really explain the work. Sometimes taking work to do home does really help students get ahead or understand the unit better but, having 45 minutes of work to do is not ok. Students lose more of the very little sleep they already get because, if you have 45 minutes of homework from 5 classes that’s almost 4 hours of work to do. If the student has to take a bus home they have about 5 hours until it’s 9pm. Does this mean they should have an hour to eat and then about an hour if their parents are still up to spend time around family? This means a student goes to daycare for 7 hours and 20 minutes and then has 5 hours of work after, coming to an 11 hour and 20 minute day of work. But all of this work has an effect on the students. This work creates stress, stress that makes the 4.0, 3.0 and 2.0 student harm and or kill themselves. The schooling system blames bullies for these suicides. Just while writing this, I heard about a student who shot himself in a high school in Virginia some news says it’s cardiac arrest to hide the fact that this child killed himself. They say they have zero tolerance for bullies but yet they haven’t stopped themselves from bullying these students. They bully these students from the workload they give, most of these advisors being disrespectful, and using an unfair grading system. The grading system is unfair because if a student get straight A’s in a class, but then get a C on one piece, the student could easily have their grade go down to a B but then the student get 4 more A’s and their grade could then be a high B it’s way harder for a student to raise a grade than drop their grade.


I’ve been writing this for 20 minutes now in class. I’ve been on my phone 20 minutes now and not heard one thing about put your phone away or why aren’t you doing your work. How is it acceptable for me to write this much on my phone during a class that I should be learning in? Yes I should have responsibility and take action for my learning but I feel this is now more important to write about than learning a different way to draw a Lewis dot structure.


Why am I treated like I don’t own a life? Some advisors treat these students as if they are dumb and their point of view means nothing. The advisors say their opinion is right because they are more wise, they’ve seen more, they’ve been around longer. Imagine your boss at work telling you that you don’t know what you’re doing and treating you like a baby because you’re younger and haven’t had as much experience as them.


These core classes we are forced to take are meant to teach us basics in science, math, and English but when it comes to learning these subjects, what are we truly learning them for? In Middle school and elementary school we already learned the basics of these classes. Now by the time we’ve reached daycare, majority of students have already decided a career they would like to look into. We should be able to get ourselves prepared for college from high school right? Well what’s better than getting a look into the career path you want to take instead of wasting 4 years of school to go to college and decide that kind of job isn’t for you? Does it even make sense to study things that students don’t care about and need for their future. If someone knows what they want to study they should be allowed to focus on that subject or those subjects like college because them studying science and figuring out why chemicals react won’t help them when they want to be an English teacher, or a coach, or almost any non science related job. When am I going to learn about taxes, or anything I’m going to have to do with my money, like mortgage a house, or rent an apartment? What about learning how to fill out a resume to apply for a job or book a vacation? Am I going to learn my rights as a citizen? Why do I learn more important things off YouTube than I do in high school? I’ve been able to make political opinions because, I’ve seen both sides of the story from YouTube, but in school nobody will say anything about politics and won’t show what they believe in. In U.S. History we’re learning about political sides and our teacher won’t even tell us what side she believes in. When we ask, “are you a liberal” she’ll respond “I don’t know I’ll tell you guys later.”
Of course daycare does have up sides to it. Schools keep teens off the street and busy during the day. School teaches some important life skills. It helps kids find friends and be more active. It also does help with intelligence. But, I would like there to be an advancement from this daycare to blossom into a high school, where students focus in class and have true teachers that don’t just want money but love what they do and want to help the future of our country. We should especially make a change to help the future of students and not just the reputation of the daycare.


The author's comments:

This piece is about Highschool and shows a side to relate to about kids going to school now a days.