What Is Sleep? | Teen Ink

What Is Sleep?

By Baileyd BRONZE, Kenner, Louisiana
Baileyd BRONZE, Kenner, Louisiana

Not getting enough sleep is a major problem for teenage students in high school. Lack of sleep messes up one’s schedule, and everything just goes downhill from there. This all starts with the amount of homework, any extra-curricular activities one may have, procrastination, and many more reasons. As a result of these situations, a student may not receive enough sleep and can be left feeling drowsy and careless the next day. One may also experience headaches, a lack of energy, and a tendency to make errors on tests and quizzes. Sleep plays a huge role throughout each and every day, because the consequences of no sleep are unbearable. For example, my train of thought will be nonexistent the whole day, I will not be paying attention in any of my classes, and I could care less about anything. This always comes back to bite me in the butt, because I have missed out on important information I may need for an upcoming test or quiz. Aside from lack of sleep affecting a student in school, it can lead to serious health problems resulting in illness, age your skin, and impair your judgement. These effects are more serious than anyone would have thought, so that is why stressing the amount of sleep one gets is essential. Furthermore, many students have outside-school activities such as sports. It is a lot to juggle when you have a couple of tests, a quiz, and a paper due the next day. School is just a lot in general, so when school is let out most students like to go home and take a breather from all that work. Yet, the work still needs to be done in such little time, resulting in a lack of sleep for many teenagers.

Lack of sleep can be dealt with by many solutions, but one of the easiest is working around or reorganizing a daily schedule. For students that have so much going on in and out of school, work is so hard to finish without staying up late. Organizing one’s schedule is advantageous as the year goes on. This allows the student to get everything back in order instead of being in that hectic state a couple of weeks before the first day of school. For some, cutting a couple of clubs or any extra out-of-school activities is what can relieve the workload of their day to day routine. Others may even like to squeeze in a quick nap to recuperate and then start work right away. Working around one’s schedule, such as arriving to school early to start the next day’s homework or finishing all homework for the week over the weekends, can really have a big change in one’s life as they are actually able to get a good night’s sleep.

This solution of reorganizing one’s daily schedule will help improve the ability to get a good night’s sleep. The student will learn to prevent this problem which messes up his or her daily life. Now that he or she has reorganized their day to day schedule, they can finally feel relieved as they figure out the rest of their year.

Stress levels go down, there are no more grumpy students in class, grades are brought up, and health issues are improved as well. There are many things affected by lack of sleep, so if nothing is done to assuage the problem, it may keep growing into a never ending cycle. Students that learn to make adjustments in their daily schedules are more likely to be successful in school and receive the right amount of sleep. As a result, the lives of students change significantly because of one simple thing, more sleep.