Mental Illness | Teen Ink

Mental Illness

By HannahFreetage GOLD, Hemet, California
HannahFreetage GOLD, Hemet, California

Mental illness. An overused word used to define anything “bad” happening in someone’s life. Does anyone know the real definition of “mental illness”? It is a mental condition marked primarily by sufficient disorganization of personality, mind, and emotions to seriously impair the normal psychological and often social functioning of the individual. That’s right that’s the definition. It’s not a made-up word thrown around way too often by the young generation it’s a real psychological issue that’s not discussed enough. It’s something that’s misdefined as stress or a brief period of sadness. That’s right being stressed does not mean you are suffering from anxiety and being sad over a break up does not mean you have depression. These words are too often being said over and over again with the wrong definition. The literal definition of depression is feelings of severe despondency and dejection. It’s not being sad for one second too long. It’s being sad for a lifetime. So why do we throw the word around like it’s nothing? Claiming that we could kill ourselves at any minute? Why does KMS pop up more than therapist help on the internet? People who deal with any kind of depression will never openly throw around how they want to go kill themselves. Why is it a trend to want to die? I’ve noticed in younger teenagers that they constantly say how depressed and lonely they are and how they want to kill themselves. Keep in mind this is what they say in a room full of people. If you suffer from mental illness your first reaction is not to scream out because you are too busy screaming within yourself. People deserve to know that mental illness is a serious condition that needs treatment. It’s not a made-up word or something that you can fake. It is a very serious mental condition that leads to millions of deaths per year. You deserve to know the truth. You deserve to help someone if they are suffering from any type of mental illness. Remember this is a real serious issue please educate yourself on the topic at hand.

Shorthairdontcare SILVER, Houston Area, Texas
exactly! i agree with all of this. I always see people posting on social media and bragging about their mental disorders, most of these people don't actually have to deal with this, they just want attention and they think having mental illnesses makes them cool and unique.