Argumentative | Teen Ink

Argumentative

October 6, 2016
By Drake33 BRONZE, Independence, Missouri
Drake33 BRONZE, Independence, Missouri
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Do you think obesity is a related to fast food? Have you found yourself supersizing? Fast food does more bad than good for you. It can cause you many issues with everyday life. Americans should not eat fast food on a regular basis because fast food can lead to health issues like obesity, heart disease, and chemicals that are harmful to you.


Obesity is a major problem in our society. More than half of the adults in our society are overweight and a little over 25% of them are considered obese. “Supersizing” fast food meals has been linked to the obesity problem. The fast paced lives Americans live create less time for family seat down dinners and more interest in electronics. According to U.S. News and World Report, “food is so overproduced in the U.S. that there are 3,800 calories per person per day, and we only need about half of that,” says Marion Nestle, chair of the Department of Nutrition and Food Studies at New York University (Spake, Amanda, and Mary Brophy Marcus. "A Fat Nation." U.S. News & World Report 133.7 (2002): 40. Academic Search Elite. Web. 6 Oct. 2016.).


Heart disease is also a major problem in our society. The sodium intake for americans are out of control. On average Americans are using too much sodium daily, which is causing more and more people to have heart disease. Fast foods has high sodium content in their products that americans are eating daily. According to MMWR: Morbidity & Mortality Weekly Report, “A national health objective is to reduce average U.S. sodium intake to 2,300 mg daily to help prevent high blood pressure, a major cause of heart disease and stroke (Cogswell, Mary E., et al. "Vital Signs: Sodium Intake Among U.S. School-Aged Children -- 2009-2010." MMWR: Morbidity & Mortality Weekly Report 63.36 (2014): 789-797. Consumer Health Complete. Web. 6 Oct. 2016.).


Industrial chemicals are also a major problem in our society. Fast food uses a wrapper for the food that has a chemical in it. The food can absorb this chemical through the wrapper causing health issues. According to Fortune, “An analysis of people who ate fast food over the previous 24 hours found that they had elevated levels of phthalates, a chemical used to make plastics more pliable, reported Bloomberg” (Lorenzetti, Laura. "This Is Some Very Bad News for Fast-Food Eaters." Fortune This Is Some Very Bad News for Fast Food Eaters Comments. N.p., 2016. Web. 06 Oct. 2016).


There are many more reasons why fast food is bad for our society. Be aware of the problems it can cause and how it can affect your health. This should help you make the right decisions the next time you want to go get fast food for a quick meal. “Supersizing” is just not the healthy choice. By making healthier choices will only keep you healthier in the long run.