Is Milk Really Good for You? | Teen Ink

Is Milk Really Good for You?

May 19, 2016
By Anonymous

Got Milk? - A common expression printed on milk cartons and articulated during TV commercials seen across the world.  However, is this expression a voice to the public on the benefits of milk, or is it actually an advertising for milk processing and distribution companies to generate sales?  Families have been brought up believing that milk is a necessary component in our daily diet, which is somewhat accurate because milk does contain a gracious amount of nutrients that benefit our health.  But is milk actually good for us? Research has shown that there is very little that milk does for a healthy lifestyle and can actually be a detriment to the body. Therefore, milk should no longer be considered a healthy and necessary component to our diet.


Milk is known for containing nine essential nutrients necessary in our daily diet.  However, there is a misconception that drinking milk helps maintain the overall health and strength of our bones.  This confusion is understandable, as we were brought up believing the unrealistic benefits of milk’s nutrients.  The truth is that there is little evidence that supports how milk reduces the risk of fractures and strengthen bones.  In fact, studies have shown that only small amounts of calcium from milk is absorbed by our bones and it’s actually depleting the bones of calcium.  Milk naturally increases the acidic pH levels in our body, which is detrimental to health.  In fact, calcium is used to neutralize the acid that enters the body which dilutes some of the benefits of consuming milk.  Because our bones contain the largest amount of calcium, while it is neutralizing the acidity, the calcium leaves the bones, which results in a calcium deficiency (Goldschmidt).


Furthermore, drinking milk exposes our bones to higher incidents and risk of fractures.  According to Walter Willet, a critic of the common milk theory, he states that countries where milk is hardly consumed have the lowest rates of fractures.  A study conducted by the Harvard Nurses’ Health group which was based on the milk consumption of 77,761 women, found that those who consumed more milk exhibited more broken bones than those who didn’t consume milk (Goldschmidt).  According to the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, “Milk’s main selling point is calcium, and milk is touted for building strong bones in children and preventing osteoporosis in older persons.  However clinical research shows that dairy products have little or no benefits for bones…” (PCRM).  Many studies even contradict the idea that milk consumption reduces osteoporosis. “Consumption of dairy products, particularly at age 20 years, was associated with an increased risk of hip fracture in old age.” (Cumming and Klineberg).


Milk is also linked to other health related diseases. According to Frank A. Oski, former director of the Department of Pediatrics at Johns Hopkins University, “The fact is: the drinking of cow milk has been linked to  iron-deficiency anemia in infants and children… and the possibility has been raised that it may play a central role in the origins of atherosclerosis and heart attacks…” (Oski).  Milk contains fat, saturated fat, and cholesterol which are directly related to chronic diseases, which include diabetes and heart disease.  Milk is also high in calories which can increase the chances of obesity.  Many studies have also found that consumption of large quantities of milk or dairy products lead to prostate and ovarian cancer (Barnard, “Questions about nutrition”).

According to Shape Magazine (2014), “a study recently published which showed an association between drinking milk and increased risk of mortality. If you take the study’s findings at face value, you would think that for every daily glass of milk that you drink, your risk of premature death increases by 15 percent” (Roussell).  Increased risk of mortality can be contributed to the negative effects of milk consumption, including diabetes, obesity, nutrient deficiency, cardiovascular issues, blood related diseases, and issues commonly correlated with old age. Some non-imminent issues can be attributed to milk consumption, such as allergies and intolerance to lactose. 


It is argued that milk should be recognized “as an important source of nutrition in human diets, providing energy, high quality protein, and essential minerals and vitamins."(Bauman).  However, the quantity of nutrients in milk that provide energy and protein does not compare to that of calcium. And if calcium is doing more harm than good, milk drinkers would be better off with taking vitamins or alternative milk drinks.


We were brought up believing that milk provides us with nutrients necessary for a healthy, balanced diet.    However, research has shown that this common stigma is false. The benefits of milk are marginal and can actually be a detriment to our body.  Even though there are some benefits to the consumption of milk, the benefit misperceptions, “urban legends”, and the documented health risks should be considered before encouraging or drinking milk.  With this in mind, healthier alternatives to milk that provide nutrients to the body should be considered.