Siestas | Teen Ink

Siestas

Do you not get enough sleep at night? Do you think naps in school should be essential? Well in specific parts of the country these naps, or as they call them siestas, are taken daily. These periods are throughout the afternoon in the hotter times of the day. A siesta is a dead period in which all life shuts down and sleeps. Life is already hard enough for high school students. Most high schoolers are expected to have a job, maintain grades, be involved in extracurricular activities, and help pay for college tuition. Thus, siestas are necessary to students in school. Because if this heavy workload 5 or 6 hours of sleep just doesn't cut it. Sleep helps the consolidation of declarative memories in the laboratory, but the pre-mnemonic effect of the daytime naps in schools is yet to be fully explained. While few studies indicate that sleep can indeed benefit school learning, it remains unclear how best to use it. Some benefits of taking naps consists of increased alertness, increased learning and memory, heightens your senses, and improves health and mood.