Flaking Out the Truth of Special K | Teen Ink

Flaking Out the Truth of Special K

Over the years there has been more and more cereal promotions and cognization concerning diets and healthier breakfasts. There are over hundreds of cereals, cereals that are all similar and dissimilar. They range from cereals that allure kids, like Fruity Pebbles and Cookie Crisp, Captain Crunch and Lucky Charms to more dietary cereals to attract adults, such as Honey Bunches of Oats and Cheerios, Kashi and Wheaties. Two of the more “appearing to be similar” types of conventional cereals are Special K and Corn Flakes. Being created from the Kellogg brand, they have some very similar appearances; however, the two cereals are not quite the same. Both cereals contain disparate nutrient facts, different ways of advertising and have a very diverse taste, texture, and tint.
The nutritional value of both cereals is not quite the same. Special K cereal contains 110 calories, 7 grams of protein, and 4 grams of sugar. On the box they advertise their low calorie servings, 0 grams of fat, and 7 grams of protein. On the back of their box they have human advertisements explaining how they lost weight on the Special K challenge, a weight loss program that consists of substituting breakfast and lunch with their Special K cereal. However, because Corn Flakes have 100 calories per serving, because they have 2 grams of protein, because they contain 3 grams of sugar, it can be said that Corn Flakes and Special K have diverse nutritional value. Instead of advertising for weight loss like Special K, Corn Flakes advertise for being “the original and best” corn flake cereal around.
By opening the boxes of cereal, another different characteristic comes up between them, they are two different colors. Special K is more of a crème color; Corn Flakes, gold. Also, after about fifteen minutes of letting the cereal sit with milk, the Special K brand will begin to appear dank, or debilitated, while the Corn Flakes still looks fresh and crunchy, appearing more enticing to the consumer. It is also noticeable when eating the two brands, that Special K has more of a puffy, air filled texture, when the Corn Flakes is much crunchier and sharper on your gums.
Variety of flavors is another difference between the cereals. However, Corn Flakes only come in one flavor, original. However, original, fruit and yogurt, chocolate crisp, and vanilla toasted almond- these are the different variety Special K cereals offer.
Discounting the differences in nutrition, differences in appearance, differences flavors, the cereals still have some similarities. For instance, they are both oval like pieces, crumble easily and appear flakey. Although the two cereals packaging uses extremely different advertisements, they both have the same goal: to attract adult consumers looking to buy a healthier cereal.
Even though the two delectable cereals have some similarities, they are more different than they are alike. Special K and Corn Flakes have different shades, textures, nutritional value and varieties. Corn Flakes are the simple, crunchy, corn cereal that has been around for ages. Special K is the versatile, brittle, puffy rice cereal that can supposedly drop weight in a diet. But, in the end, Special K and Corn Flakes should be put in different cereal bowls; not mixed together.

My whole inspiration for this essay came from my mother who was in the process of "the special K diet." Is there really that big of a difference between the supposive weight loss cereal and the traditional Corn Flakes?