Skinny | Teen Ink

Skinny

April 27, 2015
By lilyklingsporn BRONZE, Duluth, Minnesota
lilyklingsporn BRONZE, Duluth, Minnesota
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Dear person with eating disorder,
  I understand it’s not that easy to decide to be healthy. But, you can decide to get help to get on that track. Here’s why: If you keep this up, there will be consequences. You don’t want to end up hospitalized or worse, dead.
Picture this: a 16 year old girl. Anorexia. She fasts for days, feeling the physical and mental effects of malnutrition every day. She never knows if she’s going to tip over and pass out that day because she’s just dying to be skinny. But, that’s all it is. It’s dying.
If you aren’t as far down as the rest of us, you wouldn’t understand what’s going to happen to you. Firstly, your hair is going to start falling out, your metabolism and stomach are going to diminish, actions like walking up a few stairs will make you so lightheaded you’re on the verge of passing out. The color in your cheeks will fade. Your bones will become brittle, and after a few months; you will find yourself fighting for your life in the hospital. Soon, being “the skinny girl” isn’t worth it anymore.
If you haven’t realized yet, your disorder is wearing a mask. It’s trying to convince you that it’s a friend. Don’t let it fool you. An eating disorder is not cute or romantic or beautiful. It’s an ugly little disaster that will ruin you from the inside out. You need to fight this, and I’m here to help.
Love,
    Yourself


The author's comments:

I was inspired to write this piece because of a personal situation. I've seen what an eating disorder can do to someone. It's very emotional and hard to watch. I hope that I can raise awareness about this topic through this article.