Internet Addiction | Teen Ink

Internet Addiction

October 31, 2014
By Anonymous

Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube. All those social media apps are apps children, young adults, and even adults use. I think everyone goes through a phase and some people go through a more serious phase like using social media all day non stop. In my essay I will be talking about how we use social media, the negative and positives about social media, my opinion on how people use to act before social media, and how the world would be like without social media.

My friend Dana uses social media every day in school. She listens to music and uses social media when she finishes her work. When she gets out of school she gets her phone and goes on and uses Instagram and YouTube. When I go to her house she always has something to show me whether it’s a funny picture on Instagram or a video on YouTube. My sister is always on social media or is always playing on her iPod. When my parents sees my sister on her iPod they tell her that they are going to take it away from her because she  uses it to much.

The negatives about social media are that you can get addicted to it or even not get out of your room to hang out outside and/or talk to your family. Another negative thing is that you will never finish work because you would always be on YouTube, Instagram, or Twitter and it would distract you. Some positive things about social media are you can interact with your friends and/or video chat them, and you can hear all about the news and/or hear about celebrity news. All of this can be good or bad its just how you choose to use it.

In my opinion social media was different before. Before says wikipedia, “We had to play video games on a chalkboard.” Also before you  probably only saw T.V. because you never  had Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, YouTube, etc., and if you did watch T.V. you only see for a little bit because you would probably go “outside and play baseball or tag,” says wikipedia. Now and days teens only want to be on their phones or laptops so they can go on Twitter, YouTube, Snapchat, or Instagram, and waste their time on that and not go outside and play baseball or any other sport. I think it was better before because you would have been healthier instead of not exercising and eating. That is my opinion on how people use to act about social media before because there was no social media before. . 

                    A world without social media would be great, but also would be bad. It would be great because we all won't be clinged up on our phones or laptops, and all the teens would always play outside with their dogs and/or with their friends, and they would play any type of sport. It would also be bad because you will not get news about what a celebrity did and/or any news about recent things. Another reason it would be bad if we didn’t have social media is that we won’t be able to interact with friends and it would be bad because you wouldn’t see them as much. 

In Conclusion, I think social media is still bad and I will never like it, but I will always use it, because it is very addicting and it will never leave this earth.
 


The author's comments:

This piece is about how the internet is dangerouse and how you can get seriousely addicted to it.