Does sex define love? | Teen Ink

Does sex define love?

Does sex define love? It may seem like a silly question, but its a question on a lot of young people's minds. The answer: absolutely not. Some people may use love as an excuse to get sex from their boyfriend/girlfriend, but you don't have to have sex to be in love, and you don't have to be in love to have sex. To me, you should most definitely love someone before you have sex with that person. Sex is a very intimate experience.. It can be very emotional and therefore it should be with the right person; unfortunately, many people don't think of it that way. Now sex is seen as something two people do together just because, and that isn't how it should be. The way sex is portrayed in the media may make some teens think that having sex is a completely normal to do at a young age, and coming from someone who first had sex 3 days before her 16th birthday, I know that having sex at a young age isn't the best plan. It has been almost a year, I have another boyfriend who I care about very much, but I will always care about the person I first had sex with, every girl will. Some girls with low self-esteem may use sex as a way of feeling special, or as a way of feeling pretty or loved. The fact of the matter is, if you aren't dating someone and they want to have sex with you, they aren't in love with you, they don't want you for your looks or personality, they want you because you're a girl and they're guys and are after one thing and one thing only. Granted, I know not all guys are pigs, there are many respectful men out there who want to be with you for who you really are, you just have to search for him. Some women make the decision to wait until they are married to have sex, and while waiting is a wonderful idea and something everyone should consider, it may not work out the way you plan. Having sex, or wanting to have sex is a normal thing for a teenage girl/boy to want and act on, but you should consider whether or not that person will be in your life forever, or longer than a month. To be in love doesn't mean you need to prove it by having sex, and having sex doesn't mean you need to be in love, although you should be. Just remember, after you have sex you cant take it back, its something that will be with you for the rest of your life and you will have to live with that decision forever. Don't give into the pressures of society or your friends, it is YOUR body and YOUR choice. Be safe, be smart, be protected.

Be safe, be smart, be protected.

Methmi PLATINUM, Colombo, Other

“When things get hard, stop for awhile and look back and see how far you’ve come. Don’t forget how rewarding it is. You are the most beautiful flower, more than anyone else in this world.”

So interesting article. You have given a great advice to all teenagers.