Teen Drinking | Teen Ink

Teen Drinking MAG

Have you ever been offered an alcoholic beverage? What about someone saying “Don’t worry, just have one little sip”? Most people have their first drink by the time they’re 13. That first drink can be the start of a troubled life.

Drinking can make teens feel good, but that lasts only a short time. Teenagers on shows like “Gossip Girl” or “Degrassi” get drunk regularly, but those shows rarely ­explore the problems alcohol can cause. ­Alcohol clouds your brain and hinders your ability to make decisions. Excessive drinking literally makes your brain shrink and can cause serious damage. Binge drinking can cause learning disabilities and damage your memory. It distorts your ­vision and leads to blackouts. Teenagers often think that drinking will give you more energy, but alcohol isn’t an energy drink; it’s a depressant.

Drinking alcohol affects your inhibitions and makes you do things you wouldn’t if you were sober. Many girls get pregnant and drop out of school because they make the mistake of drinking too much and having unprotected sex. Twelve percent of 15- to 17-year-olds reported having unprotected sex when drinking or using drugs. Also, 24 percent said that because of drinking or drugs they had “done more” sexually than they had intended.

Sometimes girls don’t have a choice. Rape also happens when people drink too much. It only takes one night to mess up your life.

Drinking and driving is one of the top causes of death for teen boys. An alcohol-­related motor vehicle crash kills one person every 33 minutes and injures someone every two minutes. The rate of teenagers driving drunk is so high that the government is trying to pass new laws restricting teen driving.

When we get to high school, friends start pressuring us to drink. High school students see alcohol as glamorous and a way to become popular. I created a survey at my school. Twenty-four of the 63 respondents predicted they would drink in high school. Eleven said maybe, and 28 said they don’t plan on drinking.

Regardless of what they say now, things can change. Teens starting high school want to fit in. They ­often go from being top dog in junior high to being “fresh meat.” Some people will do anything to be accepted, including potentially hurting themselves. They think that one drink won’t do anything. A little bit of alcohol probably won’t kill you, but it can lead to poor decisions.

I’ve been pressured to do many things, ­including drinking. Drinking causes you to be vulnerable; be safe. High school is the time to experiment with what you want to do in life, but if you’re experimenting with alcohol you could hurt someone, including ­yourself.

kmd109 BRONZE said...
kmd109 BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana
This article truly tells the struggle of everyday high school life.  I have been pressured may times to drink, but i have always been the bigger person and turned away.  I think that all teens should be informed on what harm they are causing themselves by drinking at such an early age.    

amberglow13 SILVER, Tulsa, Oklahoma

"Always remember that you are unique--just like everybody else."

That was not the author's message.

holly.nicole SILVER, Templeton, Massachusetts

"It's Only Awkward, If You Make It Awkward."

This is positively true

Whittney GOLD said...
Whittney GOLD, Somewhere, Kentucky

"Everyone is beautiful just the way they are, and everyone is talented at something!"

I agree with this article and I think more  teens should know this. I hate to see people waste their live on that stuff.

Sophia BRONZE said...
Sophia BRONZE, Gig Harbor, Washington
   Agreed.

Sophia BRONZE said...
Sophia BRONZE, Gig Harbor, Washington

I agree with this. As an active member in the teenage community (but not too active) many kids drink because they want to be rebellious, because they feel restrained and oppressed by the rules set for them (I think this is stupid but it is a fact of life). I have many friends from Europe who drink on a regular basis, however they generally do not abuse (and do not drink here where it is illegal)this and none of them have any friends or family who have been injured by desicions induced by drinking. I think this problem arises from people who treat it like a problem. I mean the statistics are great, people should be informed, however I do know teenagers who would read said statistics and be like "bs" and then go binge drink just to try and prove said statistics wrong. I also know people who brush off the statistics, because that "could never happen" to them. I think that this prblem is beyond kids wanting to fit in, it is more about home life, restrictions and the lust that teenagers generally have over proving that they can make their own desicions.

Just a comment directly to the author: Have you done research concerning teenage drinking stats/ accidents in Europe?  (I have no idea what they are but it would be intresting to compare these to the American ones, especially considering the varying laws)

Escapethefate GOLD, GT, Maryland

Don't regret life,
Live life.

I will look at yours, thanks (:

Zazawish777 GOLD, KC, MO, Missouri

life isn't passing me by, it's trying to run me over!

I agree, i love this. I did an essay like this. I really like yours. % out of 5 stars. Please rate and comment on my stuff. thanks

Halcoyn BRONZE said...
Halcoyn BRONZE, Navi Mumbai, Other
hey are you the sarah b from tda??????

_Bell_ said...
_Bell_, Ukiah, California

...

it does always feel good to do a good deed but it is a little bothering not knowing weather it did some good to someone.everyone has had bad things happen to them, as have I. some things are so hurtfull the only way to stop thinking of it is useing drugs or alcohal. being in that situation of going towards the alcohal is our own choise not no one else's. and we must now the consequences from what we are getting into. everyone has a choise in life when something hard comes around you just gota be smart to know the right choise like put up with it and just keep on with a sober life and do good things. the right choise may take some effort but in the long run emotionally but is better for you and your future. the bad choise like drinking and drugs takes no effort at all once ur drunk u forget about most things but not all the times some times you may be thinking about it more and get more emotionally hurt. when someone falls into drugs and alcohal like this girl in the story they do need life long lessons to teach them alchohal and drugs is'nt the answer.but we must'nt leave them like animals out on the street or discriminate them those type of people are the people most needed to be loved and cared for and have someone to talk to. they need guidance from people and much more to have someone belive that they could change and become somthing of themselfs and triumph in life

Escapethefate GOLD, GT, Maryland

Don't regret life,
Live life.

That is so true. I really agree with this article because there wasn't a single false fact. You did a really great job.

sillyme said...
sillyme, Ukiah, California
This is totally true. I know a few people that because of drinking too much have done things they regret the next day or the rest of their life. When that person talked to me about the things that she did seems to me like she wanted to cry. It is sad to see what alchol can do to you and make you do.

kate5283 said...
okay you're saying that if a drunk person thinks they are going to far sexually then they will stop. thats not even true. if you're drunk, you lose your ability to think and make decisions like the girl wrote above. and some people do drink to hurt themselves. some people use alcohol to drink with pills. people do use it to hurt themselves or others, so get your facts straight. sorry girl.

livetoserve BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
i'm already committed to not drinking until i'm at least out of high school.  there was a boy in our community who died in a car crash because he was drunk.  obviously, if he never had one sip of alcohol, he never would've continued drinking and he would not have been drunk that night.  therefore, he would be alive.  one sip CAN ultimately lead to death--it's the first drink that decides whether this is something you are going to continue to do.  i am strongly against teen drinking and it makes me sad that so many people think it's ok.  (i am all right with parents allowing their teens to have a drink in a stable environment as long as their judgement is to be trusted and they're not drunk themselves.  however, parents supplying alcohol for parties or for their kids regularly is extremely wrong.)  just think of it this way: drinking under 21 is illegal.  even if you don't become an alcoholic, teens can still get in legal trouble (a couple friends on my swimteam got arrested for possession of alcohol, drunk driving, and having too many people in their car).  smart teens don't drink.

eckles7 said...
Most of the countries in Europe don't have age laws for drinking, and they don't seem to have nearly as much teen drinking problems as we do.  I go to visit my grandparents in Italy all the time and they always let me drink.  If I sit in a restaurant the waiter will pour me wine without my asking and just assume I want it.  Kids do what they're told not to.  It's our nature.  If you just teach kids not to drink too much and have an adult or AT LEAST a couple friends, there would be less problems.  There will ALWAYS be people who abuse their priveleges, whether you give it to them or not.  But that is not most people. 

JuliaMarie BRONZE, Cincinnati. OH, Ohio

"The truth is, everyone is going to hurt you. You just have to find the people that are worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

I have a few comments on your post. #1, you don't have to get completely drunk to make poor decisions. #2, Even if you only have one drink, you most likely WILL be pressured into having "one more sip" and since you have already have had a little, you are much more likely to do it. #3, This person isn't saying drinking is all bad. If it's with your parents, or when you get older, a little bit of alcohol is harmless. It's in the teen partying situation that it is dangerous. #4, if getting pregnant, being raped, embarrased, passing out or dying isn't enough reason not to drink as a teen, then my last point is that it is illegal, and you can get in a ton of trouble if any resposible adult finds out.

J.A.M. SILVER said...
J.A.M. SILVER, Lacey, Washington
I can'tdecide whether to agree or disagree with this article. On the one hand, drinking can be dangerous and people can be irresponsible and severe consequences can happen. But on the other hand, those who drink responsibly and are in a safe environment with friends or family and don't get completely wasted and make themselves sick, I think that's acceptable. There are much more worse things a teen could do then drink on occasion. Maybe somebody should write an article about the other more dangerous drugs that continuously are on the rise in teens now-a-days.

Heathurrlovesyouu SILVER, Morristown, Tennessee

"Nothing of me is original, I am the combined effort of everyone I have ever known." -Invisible Monsters

I strongly disagree with this article. I get the whole binge drinking thing, but honestly, using the phrase "just one sip," really made it lose some impact.

I understand how it could turn into a really bad situation, and I know the kind of people you're talking about. But, don't think every teen who drinks is irresponsible.

allisonl97 BRONZE, =), Wisconsin

I dont really have a fav quote

To all of you who responded with something like "Drinking isnt all bad...its actually perfectly fine." that isnt what the person who wrote this article means...they are talking about teen drinking...and not just a little sip of your parents wine cooler but one teen drinking a whole beer and then doing things they regret later. thank you for this article.

Emmasmommy4610 SILVER, Ocean Shores, Washington

"If you don't hit the ground hard, you'll never know what its like to get up and learn to fly."

Drinking isn't that bad. Really. Think about it... there are a lot worse kids and teens could be doing, and some ARE doing. One drink won't get you drunk, PROVEN FACT. Weight, age, and gender determines how many "drinks" (equivilant to one shot or one beer) can get you drunk. Drinking on occasion and enjoying yourself is OKAY. Alcohol abuse is something that should be prevented and discussed. I honestly beleive this article blows drinking out of porportion.