Depression | Teen Ink

Depression MAG

I can't remember the exact day my life stopped having meaning. I can't remember when I stopped smiling, or when all I wanted to do was sleep. No one noticed at first, not even me. After school and on weekends, all I did was sleep or just lay in bed with my eyes open, focused on nothing. My friends would ask me to hang out, I would decline, and after awhile they just stopped asking, which was okay with me. In addition to staying in bed, I would also burst into tears for no reason. Once I started crying, I couldn't stop, and usually I would cry myself to sleep.

When suicide became something I considered, all I wanted to do was get away from anything that could hurt me. I had isolated myself from those who cared about me, and all they could do was watch and wonder what was wrong. I felt like I was some kind of freak.

It was a sunny morning in June when I finally had the courage to write my mother a note. It told her how I had been feeling for the last few months and what I had been thinking about. I left it in front of her bedroom and went back into my room to sleep. I awoke to my mother with tears in her eyes, and I realized that she was someone who could get me help, and most important, that she cared. I went to a mental health doctor, who diagnosed me with chronic depression and put me on anti-depressant medication. I also had to go to a psychiatrist until I felt that I was ready to be on my own with my thoughts again. Once my friends realized what was wrong, they became immovable forces at my side, and helped me become the person I was before depression. I became closer to my mother, and found out that there's a history of depression in my family, and that I wasn't just a freak.

I am glad I am over this, but am bothered by the thought of what might have happened if I hadn't had the courage to write that letter. Now, any time I feel like I am becoming depressed, I tell my mother and she finds me help. Because of her continual support, I will never again feel unloved or unimportant.

When You're Depressed: You feel sad or cry a lot

* You feel guilty for no reason * Life seems meaningless * You have a negative attitude a lot of the time * You don't feel like doing things you used to like and you want to be left alone * It's hard to make up your mind or concentrate * Little things make you lose your temper * Your sleep pattern changes * Your eating habits change * You feel restless and tired most of the time

* You think about death, or about suicide

If You Think You're Depressed or are concerned about a friend, talk to a trusted family member, a school counselor, your family doctor, clergy or call a hotline.

The US Suicide Hotline 800-784-2433

NDMDA Depression Hotline 800-826-3632

Suicide Prevention Services Crisis Hotline 800-784-2433

Suicide & Depression Hotline 800-999-9999

(psychologyinfo.com/depression/teens.htm)

EmilytheBelleofA. DIAMOND, Athens, Georgia

To love is to be vulnerable; Triumph is born out of struggle; We notice shadows most when they stand alone in the midst of overwhelming light.

I've been through this before. And I might still be going through this before. Thank you, for sharing this. 

crazy/random said...
This piece was equally inspiring as it was informative. I'm glad you found the courage to tell your mom, and that she helped you. Great!

mfischer SILVER, Northfield, Minnesota
I remember going through the same thing, Exept my mom didnt say anything to anyone. and didnt help me. She just said i was pretending and i shouldnt talk like that. But my friends noticed it right away. I always love to get out of the house but when i dont they knew somthing was wrong, Your story touched me. :)

WriterGeek<3 said...
Every single person in the world who is depressed should read this. Its beauty is in its truth. Amazing.

Jujija GOLD said...
Jujija GOLD, Brookline, Massachusetts

"I don't wish to be everything to everyone, but I wish to be something to someone"

<3.... just... <3. really good

shapeshifter56 GOLD, Cave Creek, Arizona

"Instead of waiting for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain."
--Unknown Author

I feel for you, and I really hope you can get through it. I know things are hard right now. I've been there too. Just know that no matter how dark things look sometimes and no matter how alone you feel, the sun always comes out, and there are always people who DO care about you. Hold on to hope. 

--Unknown Author

Your article is very deep and easy for me to relate to. This is how I felt most of my seventh grade year. Thank you for having the courage to post this. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who's felt this way and that there are others who have gotten through it. Keep writing!

KadajYazooLoz, Springfield, Virginia
I feel as though i am depressed, Manic Deppression runs in my family ive already talked to my mother but it seems as though she doesnt care, im in councling but it doesnt help it just makes me feel worse and worse every week, i need help and quick, it may get bad, its REALLY bad now its all i ever think about, i dont know what I should do

.iloveyou. GOLD, Evansville, Wyoming

"There are but two certainties in life; death and taxes." Ben Franklin

Thank you for posting this. When I'm down I read other people's stories of their struggles and most like yours sounds just like me. Its nice to know there are survivors.