Ban Smoking in Public Areas | Teen Ink

Ban Smoking in Public Areas MAG

Have you ever come home with the stench of smoke clinging to your clothes? Or inhaled a cloud of smoke as a group of smokers passed, causing you to cough and choke? Neither experience is pleasant, and this is why smoking should be banned in public areas.

Smoking can be dangerous not only for the smoker, but also for those around the smoker. Secondhand smoke is the third leading cause of preventable death (after active smoking and alcohol), according to the Manitoba Medical Association. They also say that the smoke contains over 4,000 chemicals, 50 of which are known to be cancer-related. Secondhand smoke has been linked to heart and respiratory disease; lung, breast, cervical, and nasal sinus cancers; strokes and miscarriages. In children, dangers include sudden infant death syndrome, fetal growth impairment, bronchitis, pneumonia, asthma and middle-ear disease. People who smoke subject themselves to deadly diseases, as well as long- and short-term health problems. Non-smokers should not have to live with the consequences of smokers' actions.

Not permitting smoking in public areas may help people refrain from smoking. Some argue that there would be a significant decline in the clientele in bars and clubs, but non-smokers actually outnumber smokers three to one. A ban could actually increase people going out because nonsmokers would be more comfortable.

There may also be a sudden realization of the dangers of smoking. With the state government taking a stand, it may cause people to take another look at the deadly factors of "cancer sticks."

After a recent incident from the widely known Target Market program, people are beginning to feel that anti-tobacco efforts are losing their focus. At a local event a couple years ago, a punk band hired by the anti-drug campaign played songs that included positive images of cigarettes and other drugs in their lyrics. This is not the most efficient way to use money set aside for anti-drug programs. Instead, this money could be used to enforce the laws that should be passed to ban smoking in public places.

Sometimes those you think would be against the idea of making smoking illegal actually agree with it. Patrick Reynolds, heir to the tobacco empire, rejected becoming president of his family's tobacco company because it was proven to have caused both his father's and his older brother's deaths. Now, he runs a campaign to stop people from smoking. In his presentation, he states that a smoker will spend about $1,400 a year for one pack a day. Reynolds also says that the more secondhand smoke you inhale, the more susceptible you are to health problems. People working in casinos, for example, are up to eight times as likely to be in danger of the effects of secondhand smoke. Banning smoking in public places can prevent death and illness.

Some say that no matter what, nothing will reduce or stop cigarette smoking altogether. The laws banning smoking might convince some to quit and create a safer environment for everyone else. Also, some argue that there isn't money to carry this out. The money that goes into programs such as Target Market and Big Tobacco will be cut and the difference will go toward law enforcement.

Smoking is a dangerous habit that not only affects the smoker, but those around him or her. Banning the smoking in public will keep non-smokers safer. People who smoke subject themselves to deadly diseases by choice. Why should non-smokers be forced to be around it?

Shorthairdontcare SILVER, Houston Area, Texas
I agree. I think that you shouldn't smoke, but if you do, you should at least only do it in private so you don't disturb others and make them inhale your smoke.

animatedbabies BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
I hate how children can obtain this smoke and have horrible lungs because of their parents decisions.

victoria_kapusta PLATINUM, Ridgewood, New York
I hope there will be a decrease in smokers for the future because its horrible seeing someone ruin their health.

STUFFY2017 said...
@Lilli I agree with a portion of what you are saying. Smokers should have there own section and be allowed only a certain percentage of area to smoke in. I really agree on the law your states has, but that law should be pressed all the way to ten feet away from all schools, churches, libraries, and any other places where there is a big gathering of children as well as adults. I feel this way because second-hand smoking is just as dangerous and smoking alone.

STUFFY2017 said...
I really that you agree that smoking is harmful. I agree that smokers need their own section to smoke in public areas. I do not think that a smoker would feel segregated if they were with other smokers in a smoking section. They shouldn't be allowed to smoke in crowded areas, we both agreed that smoking is harmful.

Pao87 said...
Smoking is a horrid habit

STUFFY2017 said...
The author did well by explaining the risks and seriousness of smoking. Teens may read this article and have a better understanding of the seriousness of second-hand smoking. I feel that this article could have been better if the author used pictures to show the seriousness of smoking on the body. Teens are more visual and they need to see pictures of actual teens who have been affected by smoking. Finally, the article should have talked about a real-life story about a parent or someone who actually smoked around a small child and the effects it had on the child. The article states that "Secondhand smoke has been linked to heart and respiratory disease." The article also states that "In children, dangers include sudden infant death syndrome, fetal growth impairment, bronchitis, pneumonia, asthma and middle-ear disease." This was a very good article and it not only helped me to learn more about second-hand smoke in public places and it effects on others this article made me think about how smoking at home can affect those around.

12323123132 said...
so its ok to harm other children out in public places? you have to realize that it is killing innocent citizens and you can't limit non smokers to not be there.

.king. SILVER said...
.king. SILVER, Yeux Bien Tres Bien, Other

( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)

While I do agree smoking is harmful... I would say banning them from smoking in public places is not smart. Where do they smoke then? In their restroom? Which is probably shared with a toddler? The kitchen? Basement? I think not. Sure it irritates non-smokers around them... they shouldn't have to do it in a crowd. Perhaps away from crowded areas would be better. To me it's better than a smoker feeling segregated and a non-smoker feeling intoxicated.

Claire said...
Wow, the details, the adjectives, the heart felt story was beautifully written. You have talent. Don't ever stop writing. Keep up the good work and carry on.

its the persons fault for being involved with such disgusting addictive habits and they can smoke in there house isn't that enough

@Midnight5765 Honey, your analogy was bad. Also, saying that smokers aren't allowed in anti-smoking areas is not segregation. They aren't banning people from smoking in a certain place because they'd never smoke, but because they don't want the dangers of smoker around. So, your argument is invalid.

midnightwoah said...
midnightwoah, Monett, Missouri

"We accept the love we think we deserve." -Stephen Chbosky

Sorry it got so long, thought I could separate it in sentences!

midnightwoah said...
midnightwoah, Monett, Missouri

I have to kindly disagree with this statement. I have lived with smoker my entire life, and though I know what harm it could do to them or myself, I am not going to support them having to smoke somewhere else. It's like saying you can't enter a bar because of the shirt you wear may not be like by someone else (bad analogy sorry). It is not fair to try to separate people because they are different than you and do things that you wouldn't do. Segregation is not the answer, it never was and it never will be. And if you have the audacity to blame smokers for problems like cancer, you should feel ashamed. Blaming other people for problems you can't explain is wrong, you would never treat yourself that way. You wouldn't want to be kicked out of your own home for being blamed for problems that have several roots. I agree that smokers should not be able to smoke in places such as hospitals or stores, but fun places like a bowling alley or bar should be up to them. If you read my comment, I hope you see that I do not want you to think smoking is a fine to do. I don't like it either. But if you think segregating people from smokers and not smokers in public places is solving any issue, then what is your message to anything else you don't like? As Patrick Star once said, "Why don't we just take our problems, and put them somewhere else?" may only work in T.V. shows.

Lilli said...
While I agree that we need to reduce smoking in public places, I do not think that a ban on smoking in such places is a good idea. Such legislation would force smokers unwilling or unable to give up smoking to do so in their homes, posing a greater risk to their children and families. Young children, especially, would have no choice but inhale the smoke, and would be put at a much greater risk for all the health problems you discuss. Additionally, smoke in contained spaces lingers longer, causing an even greater risk. In my state there is a law against smoking within ten feet of a workplace, which protects workers, consumers, and bypassers without passing the risks of secondhand smoking to another group of people.  

Cypris BRONZE said...
Cypris BRONZE, Cleburne, Texas

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life."

Oh my goodness-this is SO good! If only it would happen NOW!!

Hilton BRONZE said...
Hilton BRONZE, Louisville, Kentucky

“The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.”
Lao Tzu

“Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.”
Anonymous

“Be not afraid of greatness. Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and som “An obstacle is often a stepping stone.”

Nice piece. I like your article because people who are around people that smoke are harm by the toxic. I believe we should "ban smoking in public areas.

hannaj15 SILVER, Kennerdell, Pennsylvania
Awesome essay!  Let's just make tobacco an illegal drug. It's disgusting.

rheame said...
rheame, Anand, Other

turn a mess into a lesson

a test into testimony

a trial into triumph
and a victim into champion

this is really very true!!!!! i totally agree with you. we need to have free,clean air to breathe.