The Truth About Proactiv | Teen Ink

The Truth About Proactiv

By misswindsor BRONZE, Collingdale, Pennsylvania
misswindsor BRONZE, Collingdale, Pennsylvania

"What Fresh Hell is this?"

I first started using Proactiv this year and I thought that it was going to take away all my acne and it did, but with some complications. Complications that they don’t tell you about on the commercials or when you order it. Complications that you have to figure out for yourself. I don’t know if everyone experience this with proactiv, but this is what I experienced with America number one acne treatment.

March 22, 2011 was the day I ordered my Proactiv Solution. I was very excited that day, because I thought that I had finally found the perfect solution to get rid of all my blackheads, pimples, bumps, zits, acne, and whatever the h*** you want to call them. I called my best friend and I told her that I had ordered it, and she recently had ordered it too so we were all hype and telling each other what we hoped the proactiv would do for us and our faces.

It took about 5 days for my proactiv to come, but it was worth the wait. I had just arrived from school and I was walking up my front steps to open my front door when I felt my foot hit something. I looked down and omfg, it was a long rectangular box! I rushed inside my house and I ran upstairs to my room, to open the box. Guess what was inside?!?!?! Yea, you guess right! It was my proactiv solution! LOL.

Inside the box was my proactiv solution system, instruction on how to use it, a small orange book, and a paper that told me the next time I would get another system shipped out to me. At first I was shocked when I saw my proactiv solution. It was like 3 little teeny weensy small white and blue containers. I couldn’t believe that all the things I had wish for, would come from these three teeny weensy small containers, but I told myself that I should not knock it until I’ve tried it.

For the next few days I started using the system and getting into the routine of things. I used it in the morning (when I had time) and in the night. The first time I used it I could feel it working on my pores and it even made one of my zits disappeared. The second time I used it, I could see some of my pimples get smaller. The third time I used it my face felt rejuvenated and refreshed again and on and on it went.

I thought that all my dreams were coming true, but I noticed that in the first two weeks of my usage, that my face got irritated and dry. And every time I used it my face itched, burned, and it felt and looked sore. So I called my doc to ask him if I was allergic to any of the ingredients that was used to make the solution and he said, “No.” Then I called my friend to see if she was having the same problems too and she said, “Yes.” And I was kind of happy to know that I was not the only one who was having these problems with my system, because I thought that I did not use my proactiv the right way, but I guess I did.

I kept on using it, even though it hurt like h***! I was even tempted to call the proactiv customer service and scream at them because I felt like they did me wrong. I was mad that they sent me these small little bottles when on the commercials they make the bottle look all huge and gigantic and stuff! I was angry that the product I paid for gave me the results I wanted, but with complications! I was irate, that they charge my dad credit card (without his permission)! And I was even more annoyed and infuriated to find out that they lied to me and my friend!

You’re probably asking yourself, “Why didn’t you just return or cancel the system?” Well I didn’t do that because I still had hope that it would work, but for that long agonizing period of time it felt like h***! Eventually my face felt better and the bottles they sent me got bigger.

P.S. if you plan on ordering the proactiv three step system, there are three things you need to know:
1) When you first order your system, they will send you small samples bottles.

2) When you first start using it, it will seem like it’s working, but give it two more weeks and your face will hurt like you have never seen it hurt before.

3) They will charge your credit card (without your permission) for the next system.

Longtimer said...
This is a great story for teens. I'm glad you shared. However, the books DO tell you from the start if dryness occurs, is it less. I.e if you use it twice a day, decrease to once a day. There are several notifications that the product may (will) cause variations of dryness.
Also the fine print of the auto billing can be frustrating.
Glad it worked, and hope you still are having good result. I've been using the product for about 15 years and can always tweak it. You can also use it with other products that may ease your dryness.
Proactiv is a proven acne fighter.

canadadotspro, Markham, California
Thanks for share This post How Hydrocolloid Help Get Rid of Acne

Unknown said...
Try X-Out I think proactive is designed for young adults-adults, but there is also proactive designed for teens, you can google it if you haven't already.

I had a similar experience. after using it for a week, I became dry. extremely dry, especially around my mouth, on my chin, etc. it's making my acne better, but I really am wanting to know if I should continue treatment, given that I am so unbearably dry. will it get better soon, take a long time, or just not improve?

ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!!! I thought it was a adult author!!! Just amazing!!!!

S.g. said...
I loved both the poems.second one made me cry

Kelbus said...
I have heard about the dry skin. Did you call and ask if they suggest a cream/lotion to use? The info on the site is pretty clear that they send a 30 day supply and then a monthly fee of $29.99 will be charged for a 3 month supply.

Tabs10to said...
Thanks so much for letting me know this! But would it help to put lotion on your face to help with the dryness?

shapeshifter56 GOLD, Cave Creek, Arizona

"Instead of waiting for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain."
--Unknown Author

Great article! I tried using proactiv once, and even though I didn't experience the same complications as you and your friend, it just stopped working for me. It was working fine and then just...stopped. Weird huh? Now, I just use the all-natural stuff :)

stolen_bagel said...
stolen_bagel, Ottawa, Other

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world go blind" Gandhi

ha thanks for the heads up! I was thinking about getting proactive, anyways this is a good article ;)