Unborn Children Save Lives | Teen Ink

Unborn Children Save Lives

By katlyne BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia
katlyne BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia

Michael J. Fox and many notable people have incurable diseases. Yes, the goofy teenager, Marty McFly, from the Back to the Future trilogy has Parkinson‘s. World famous boxer Muhammad Ali also has Parkinson’s; he can barely speak. Steve Jobs, co-creator of the media player so many people have in their hands, has cancer. For all of these people, there is nothing but a death sentence. Is there anything that could save them?

Stem cell research can lead to a number of cures for multiple diseases. Stem cells have the ability to become any type of cell in the body, but stem cells make up fetuses. Lately, to appease opposition, scientists have been using surplus eggs from fertility clinics (Brown). They start to develop the embryo in a Petri dish, and stop when they can get the most cells that are the farthest away from growing into a fetus. The use of embryonic stem cells have the potential to cure many diseases such as Parkinson’s, Cancer, AIDS, Diabetes, and Alzheimer’s. However, these cures can only happen once scientists are no longer under attack for trying to help the people who currently live. According to statistics, 58% of Americans support stem cell research, 50% of supporters base their opinions on news and education. While the opposition bases their views on religious and non-religious beliefs, not science, which is what research is trying to advance (Parmelee). When the stem cell research ban was lifted many people came out to rally against the lift and supporters decided that “measures needed to be taken in the wake of the lift on federally funded stem-cell research” (Greenwood). Rallies began to start with two different sides; funders and scientists tried to build research labs in states that support the ban (Smith), While the adversary went the offensive route, and petitioned the rescind (Greenwood). "‘The Stem Cell Debate Is Over‘” (Fumento).

Stem cell research is morally unacceptable. When scientists take stem cells to create an organ, they’re killing a potential life. California was one of the first states to allow stem cell research, in hopes that it would be a good liberal proposition to take part in, it is actually “just one big experiment in big biotech’s lab of horrors” (Smith). When people discuss such a hot topic as stem cells, they consider morals instead of the need to cure diseases. Not all states are as open minded as California. In Missouri, they are working to outlaw all versions of embryonic research, “’The Missouri Legislature is a place run on fear, whether you're pro-life or pro-choice, it doesn't matter. You vote pro-life because you're afraid of what's going to happen to you if you don't’” (Dobson). Research institutes claim they only use lab grown embryos however, one look at their confidential files will prove otherwise. “If you didn't know where they came from, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between these [cells] and true human embryonic stem cells” (Fumento). “No, the Stem Cell Debate Is Not Over” (Fumento).

Ultimately what matters is saving people who are here now. With stem cell research Michael J. Fox might come back into acting and create another great legacy for himself. Muhammad Ali could get back in the ring again. Steve Jobs could reveal a brand new line of iPods, a device that could one day cure cancer! These bright futures are only available with the use of stem cells.