Teen Depression | Teen Ink

Teen Depression

By autumntate2015 SILVER, Albertville, Alabama
autumntate2015 SILVER, Albertville, Alabama

"Success is a journey, not a destination." -Ben Sweetland

Teen depression is a very quiet problem to the people it takes over, but to those wanting to help stop teen depression it is a very loud spoken, horrific issue in teens all across America and beyond. What may lead to teen depression? Not having notifications or messeges on Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, and more. Also not having texts may lead to an unhappy behavior. How would these things lead to depression? Not having somebody comment on a picture, send you a text, or something like these can make a person feel alone and unloved.
To prevent teen depression in yourself: do not check your facebook constantly, or stare at you phone. To prevent teen depression in a friend: comment on their photos, text them to see how they are doing. Just small things like these can save lifes. Depression can lead to suicide; Girls attempt suicide more often than guys, but guys have more success in suicidal situations than girls. We can stop depression and suicide.

stop depression, it hurts...everyone.

shapeshifter56 GOLD, Cave Creek, Arizona

"Instead of waiting for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain."
--Unknown Author

I think you have a very good point when you say that little things can save lives. When I had depression, I hung on to every smile. Letting people know you care--like commenting on photos, texting, sharing smiles, and just talking to someone--can make all the difference. Thank you & keep writing!

Opinionated GOLD, Brantford, Other

~Change what you can and accept what you cannot change.~
~If you love someone, let them free. If they come back, it's meant to be.~
~Cease refusing to believe that in what you have created.~

I liked your article although there are much more deeper reasons for depression, I guess this could be and example. And by the way, for every one girl who commits suicide four guys do.  

Opinionated GOLD, Brantford, Other

I think she just used that as an example but even so, what she named are the main types of communication nowadays, and I think that not feeling like you belong in there may hurt? I don't know, I can't speak for her and I understand that there are WAY more concerning reasons for depression. Just thought i'd share. 

JacintaT BRONZE, Brisbane, Other
I hate to say, that this article angered me, I am sorry. How can you say that things like facebook and Myspace contribute to something like depression? Depression is a serious ILLNESS that people develop at any age, and no commenting someone's photo is not going to help. 

Thank you very much. I will deffinately view your work!

-AutumnTate

teen_queen said...
You did a great job on this article! I didn't know that a)girls attempt suicide more often then guys and b)boys are more succesful in suicide! Please check out my story Love or Drama:TeenInk.com/fiction/romance/article/233360/Love-or-Drama-Chapter-4/ and leave a comment! Thanks!