ADHD: Not Just Another Excuse | Teen Ink

ADHD: Not Just Another Excuse

ADHD is not just another excuse for hyperactive children; it’s an actual disorder in which children have a short attention span and impulsive hyperactivity. The cause of this disorder is unknown but many scientist and pediatricians are working hard to find a reason and hopefully a cure. Millions of kids with ADHD or Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder struggle to know the difference between school and home life as they also struggle to handle homework and peer pressure.

Millions of adults with ADHD are unemployed because they cannot control their actions and many people fail to realize that this is actually a serious problem that needs to be treated as such. Although the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual-IV, Text Revision (DSM-IV-TR) estimates that 3%-7% of children suffer from ADHD. Some of their studies have also estimated higher rates in community samples. ADHD is diagnosed approximately three times more often in boys than in girls.
ADHD is also more complicated than just that, there’s also three type’s for

it.
1. Predominantly Inattentive Type: It is hard for the individual to organize or finish a task, to pay attention to details, or to follow instructions or conversations. The person is easily distracted or forgets details of daily routines.
2. Predominantly Hyperactive-Impulsive Type: The person fidgets and talks a lot. It is hard to sit still for long such as eating a meal or while doing homework. Smaller children may run, jump or climb constantly. The individual feels restless and has trouble with impulsivity. Someone who is impulsive may interrupt others a lot, grab things from people, or speak at inappropriate times. It is hard for the person to wait their turn or listen to directions. A person with impulsiveness may have more accidents and injuries than others.
3. Combined Type: Symptoms of the above two types are equally predominant

in the person.
About half of all the people diagnosed with ADHD have other mental illnesses too. Many physicians find it very hard to treat co morbidities (other illnesses associated with ADHD) because most adults were not treated or were undiagnosed. Treatment for ADHD and the other disorders become harder the longer millions of people go without being tested. If you do have ADHD and decide to be treated you can go through medical or behavioral therapies.
The more you know about ADHD and other mental illnesses the more people you can encourage to be tested and take control.

itlovedtohappen GOLD, Ocala, Florida
I came onto teen ink today looking for an article on ADHD or ADD and you gave me exactly what I'm looking for. I may have ADD and this article was helpful for me. Many people think ADHD is just an excuse but you are right, it's a problem. Thank you for showing people that. :)