Smoking Problems | Teen Ink

Smoking Problems

March 23, 2010
By brdn287 SILVER, Maywood, New Jersey
brdn287 SILVER, Maywood, New Jersey
5 articles 5 photos 0 comments

If you were given the choice to kill yourself a little bit each day, shortening your life span by several minutes every time, what would you choose? Surprisingly, millions of people around the world each day make the terrible decision to slowly commit suicide by smoking cigarettes or cigars. In the United States alone, over 1,500 people loose their lives due to smoking and smoking related diseases; that is almost 430,000 people a year paying the ultimate price of loosing their lives because of a choice they made over the course of many years. Unfortunately, people who make the right choice not to smoke can still feel the effects to the same extent as a regular smoker due to second hand smoke. Even if you do not die from smoking, you can be left to deal with painful diseases that can affect your daily life for the rest of your time on earth. By simply saying no to smoking, death and disease can be easily avoided.

The effects of smoking extend beyond health problems and can even go as far as

to produce economical problems for individual people. Between hospital bills due to smoking related illnesses and the cost of cigarettes in general, the annual amount of money spent by the average adult smoker is said to be $4,260, estimated by the American Lung Association.

It has been far too easy for mega corporations such as, Marlboro, to mass murder hundreds of thousands of people every year. Something has to be done now while some people remain unharmed from the detrimental effects of cigarettes. Although some of the necessary steps such as banning smoking from restaurants and public parks have been taken, there is still a long way to go. The effects of smoking are widely known, but yet people still do it. This is the time to put an end to the holocaust of ignorant smokers and innocent bystanders.

The author's comments:
The dangers of smoking for your health and wallet