Pain is Beauty | Teen Ink

Pain is Beauty

February 22, 2010
By chicamesha102 BRONZE, KC, Kansas
chicamesha102 BRONZE, KC, Kansas
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Pain is Beauty


“We’re starving ourselves to fit into their clothes” says Danielle, one of many women who had gone through life-threatening experiences of bulimia and anorexia. Both women and men all over the world are using different techniques to make themselves flawless and perfect.
People will go to the extreme measures so then they can look picture perfect. People who are self-conscience about their looks will suffer the pain just to look good. Teens, among all these people, are the most self-conscience about their looks.
According to resources, all teens go through a phase in their life where they become self- conscience of their looks and what other people think of them. This fascination leads to spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars on cosmetic procedures such as Botox. Not only do teens spend money to fix they’re features, many teenage girls resort to becoming anorexic or bulimic while many teenage boys use steroids to alter body image.

So how do teens become so self-conscience about their looks? Every day, hour, minute, and second teens are informed with the latest on the celebrity scene. Many teens look up to celebrities like role models. Following celebrities in their footsteps can lead to having a good career, but it can also lead to teens going to the extremes of pain just to look like celebrities. These people don’t realize that the picture perfect faces on the cover of a magazine aren’t really that person’s true identity. They’re true identity is hidden under the makeup and airbrush work done by the photographers.
It’s obvious, that these celebrities have the luxury to invest their earnings on personal trainers, live in chefs, and stylists all geared to improving and maintaining their image to further career and other opportunities. Teens don’t realize that their preoccupation for looking good is no match to the celebrities whose job in the entertainment industry is for their image to be perfect.

Surprisingly, most self-conscience people haven’t realized they’re true identity yet and have ruined it because of the detriment they have done to their body and features. As long as we speak up to the world about their image and help these people realize what they are doing to themselves, it’s possible to stop these people from hurting their heath. They can stop wasting their money and realize that it doesn’t matter what’s on the outside, it’s what’s on the inside that counts.