No Body Is Perfect | Teen Ink

No Body Is Perfect MAG

I walked down the aisles looking for a pattern in my favorite clothing store. Just my luck, they had the cutest shorts – but only in sizes 0, 1, 3, 7, and 9. I wear a 13. Annoyed and devastated I walked out thinking, I’m just too fat.

The next week, at my grandmother’s house for the traditional spaghetti dinner, my cousin and his girlfriend, Ivy, joined us. We had a delicious dinner. Afterward, the women sat around talking about dieting and their weight and whatnot. My aunt complimented Ivy on how skinny she looked for weighing 120 pounds. My aunt said that she needed to go on a diet because she weighed almost 140 pounds. This comment kind of hurt me because I weigh almost 160 pounds. So I said, “I probably need to go on a diet too,” but I said this softly so, hopefully, they wouldn’t hear me.

Ivy, however, was sitting right next to me and heard what I said. She took me into the other room with her, and we sat on the bed. “When I was in my senior year of high school, I weighed 140 pounds,” she said. “I felt so insecure. I couldn’t imagine any guys would want to be with me because of how fat I was. I tried eating less, dieting, exercise, but nothing seemed to work. That was when I realized that no body is perfect. No anorexically skinny girl will ever be skinny enough for society to say that her body is ‘perfect,’ because then she would be considered ‘unhealthy.’”

I thought a lot about this for the next few days and realized that no one had ever called me fat, except when my mom was joking with me. So why was I so caught up with how much I weighed? Why was I so consumed by a number that does nothing but mock you? This number labels and classifies you and tells you “You can’t fit into those jeans because you’re 160 pounds. You can’t go out with him because you’re 160 pounds. No one will want to hang out with you because you’re 160 pounds” over and over.

I decided that I wasn’t going to let my weight rule my life. I wasn’t going to let it decide what I should and should not wear. At that point I realized that I, too, believe that no body is perfect, that no girl can be skinny enough, and that all those people who tell you the “anorexic look” is in are probably so uncomfortable with their own weight that they have to make other people self-conscious just to make themselves feel better.

So, anytime I start to feel self-conscious about my weight, I think to myself, Anorexia? I think not.

GamerGirl75 said...
GamerGirl75, Ontario, California
I think this article hits dead on with some girls. I'm almost 160 too but I'm tall, 5' 10, and sometimes I feel like I'm too fat when I realize, I'm good for myself. I'm not morbidy obese and i excerise almost every day. Sure I don't wear a size four and look like a stick but I look like an actual person. Besides there's more to a person than their exterior.

wearewed BRONZE, Arlington, Virginia

never let your eyes tell your heart what to feel but let your heart teel your eyes what to see

i feel so insicure about my body. everyone says i'm thin but i have such a hard time beiliving them it is so hard

MadameMystery93, Vineland, New Jersey
I have issues with my body. but i am coming to realize that no one is perfect and that people who make fun of other peoples flaws then they are self conscience about themselves or they have nothing better in there lives to do then make fun of other people. so my advice to everyone who has a problem with ure body is that you are beautiful no matter what anyone else says.

sulamansk481 said...
sulamansk481, New York, New York

give me liberty or give me death

I think this is a wonderful story because you don't have to think your overweight and what people think of you

bkcrider92 GOLD, Roslyn Harbor, New York

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”

This is great! Everyone should read this! =)

GorgeousChaos BRONZE, Missouri Vally, Iowa

Maybe i will never be who i was before.. Maybe i don't know her anymore.

I got my curves when i turned 11. When i was 15 i got into modeling and being 5'4" and a 120 pounds was considered fat. I knew i wasnt fat. And i refused to be told that i was so i quit modeling. Ladies, start a revolution and love your bodies. Every girl deserves to be told shes beautiful.

firstsnowfalls DIAMOND, Marcellus, New York
great job. thanks for writing!

VioletsandVoice, Spiritwood, North Dakota
ive been a bit self concious since i went up from a 6 to an 8 but i think you helped me thanks for writing this

JesusGirl13 SILVER, Yucca Valley, California
6 articles 1 photo 1 comment

Trust in the Lord with all your heart. Pslam 3:5

I'm about 150 and I have problems with my body... I'm althetic though but not as much as I used to be. Nobody has called me fat but I do feel fat sometimes.... This really helped me a lot. Thank you!!!

sunnyhunny PLATINUM, Litchfield, New Hampshire

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
-Ghandi

I'm really sorry that you are having this mental battle, and I can assure you that you do not see yourself the way everyone around you does. Things like this are deeper than weight. Don't let it turn into an eating disorder. I have no business in telling you what to do, but im about your age and was having some of the same problems. I eventually ended up with anorexia, and it was a long battle. I missed out on a lot, and it wasn't worth it at all. You deserve friends and happiness.

OlenkaOMg GOLD said...
OlenkaOMg GOLD, Mooresville, North Carolina

Be avant garde.

I like the article.

It definatly describes how i feel, but if you can lose the weight, i think anyone who wants it should go for it!

forget_me_not SILVER, Chesapeake, Virginia
i have such low self confidence. I am disgustef by meself sometimes. I'm a size 6 and i feel like a cow. after reading this i started to cry because i'm trying so hard to lsoe weight. I'm eating so mush less, exercising vigorously but nothing seems to work. i'm a freshman in high school and i have a good amount of friends. there are some days when i feel like i don't deserve friends because i'm so fat and ugly. like a don't deserve happiness. thank you for writing this. hopefully the message will sink in.

Paramore BRONZE, Seattle, Washington
I totally get where you're coming from! Don't you just hate it when the stores have nothing in your size? I have friends that are size 7 and say they have to go on a diet and I feel so bad about myself.More people could use an attitude towards this topic the way you do(That includes myself).

hola said...
this article is good one

~♪Gecko♫~ BRONZE, Lloydminster, Other

"Never bend your head. Hold it high. Look the world straight in the eye."
Helen Keller

Wow, I have to say, that's the wrong attitude! I myself am Canadian, and as much as I hate to admit it, we have problems with weight - whether it's anorexia or obesity - too! You can't say something like that, it's extremely stereotypical, and as it says in this article, you shouldn't let your weight rule your life. I hate to burst your bubble "sunshine", but there are issues with weight ALL OVER THE WORLD, not just in America.

Nicolioliolsterz_1 GOLD, Manassas, Virginia

All good is hard. All evil is easy. Dying, losing, cheating, and mediocrity is easy. Stay away from easy.
Scott Alexander

A word is dead when it is said, some say. I say it just begins to live that day.
Emily Dickinson

Not knowing when the dawn will come I open every door.
Emily Dickinson

I used to have the same problem.feeling insecure when I couldnt find a size 12 for a pair of jeans or shirt I wanted. But its not about what other people say its about how you truly feel about yourself and ho w great you look no matter what.very inspirational!!

HollyFac said...
HollyFac, Bensalem, Pennsylvania
This piece is inspring and girls, while they're young, should read it. While they're young. I know that I'm close to adulthood and I'm stuck in my ways, but had someone showed this to me while I was young, I probably would have grown up with much more confidence.

Good job. Keep writing.

Just_Some_Guy BRONZE, Natick, Massachusetts

Reading is the thing we do to remind us of how much we'll never know.

Your mom calls you fat? Hm...

JulianaB. GOLD said...
JulianaB. GOLD, Chickasha, Oklahoma

'I understand now what you wanted all along, you want me to embrace your pain and suffering. If you really have to fight, it's the least I can do.'

So true. I may only be in 7th grade but i know what this is talking about.

yea, well, the problem is, Americans are just bad. They are either anorexic or really fat usually. I am Canadian and whenever I go to the states i notice how many problems u guys have with weight issuues. I mean, we're not perfect, but in canada 160 pounds is not normal unless you're tall, muscular or big-boned