The Sleepless Writer | Teen Ink

The Sleepless Writer

By evelyn010 BRONZE, Cupertino, California
evelyn010 BRONZE, Cupertino, California

He can’t fall asleep. He lies there with his eyes closed. The phone looks tempting, yet he doesn’t reach for it. There’s a tenseness to every single muscle in his body, but as he tries relaxing all of them he feels open and defenseless. He knows that he’ll fall asleep at some point; he always does. While glancing at the time, he sees his computer that's letting off a dim light with a dark shadow of an essay that's due tomorrow. His breath pauses, knowing this would cause another day of fighting to stay awake at school. He slumps out of bed. At that moment, staring at the few sentences he had written makes him realize that he’d rather get a 0 than continue. The sentences on screen seem to be colliding with each other, constructing phrases that mirror the disarray of his sleep-deprived thoughts. It was as if everything in the world was going against him. He puts his head down and listens to the beat of crickets chirping outside. Although this wasn’t his desired way of falling into a slumber, sleep finally came to him and there he was, head down with one leg kicked up.

For this piece, I experimented with writing in 3rd person omniscient, going into the mind of another person. It also uses imagery as it paints a vivid picture of the character's struggle with insomnia, the colliding words, as well as when there are details of the dimly lit computer screen. There's also an element of foreshadowing when the character glances at the time and anticipates the challenges of staying awake at school the next day.