The Opioid Epidemic: Addressing Over-Prescription and Abuse of Pain Medication in the Healthcare Industry | Teen Ink

The Opioid Epidemic: Addressing Over-Prescription and Abuse of Pain Medication in the Healthcare Industry

By samikshaa_p SILVER, Woodinville, Washington
samikshaa_p SILVER, Woodinville, Washington

The over-prescription and abuse of opioid-class pain medication have become critical issues within the healthcare industry, leading to a widespread epidemic. Opioids, including prescription pain relievers such as oxycodone, hydrocodone, and fentanyl, have been widely prescribed to manage acute and chronic pain. However, the skyrocketing rates of addiction, overdose, and related fatalities have shed light on the urgent need for reform in prescribing practices. 

Understanding the Opioid Epidemic:

The opioid epidemic refers to the surge in the misuse and addiction to opioid medications, resulting in severe health consequences and loss of life. In the United States alone, the crisis has reached unprecedented proportions, with millions of individuals falling victim to the grip of addiction. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), from 1999 to 2019, almost 500,000 people died from an opioid overdose in the United States. In 2019, approximately 50,000 deaths were attributed to opioids, and an estimated 10.1 million people aged 12 or older misused prescription opioids.

Causes and Contributing Factors: 

1. Over-prescription: The widespread over-prescription of opioids is a key factor fueling the epidemic. Physicians, aiming to provide relief to patients in pain, may prescribe these potent medications without fully understanding the risks of addiction and dependence associated with long-term use. Research shows that in the United States, healthcare providers wrote nearly 153 million prescriptions for opioids in 2019, equivalent to a rate of 46.7 prescriptions per 100 people.

2. Inadequate pain management education: Healthcare professionals often receive limited training on pain management alternatives and non-opioid therapies. According to a survey published in the Journal of General Internal Medicine, only 27% of medical schools in the United States require a course on pain and pain management. This lack of education can contribute to the reliance on opioids as a quick and efficient solution to patients' pain complaints.

3. Pharmaceutical industry influence: The aggressive marketing strategies employed by some pharmaceutical companies in the past have contributed to the increased prescribing of opioids. Misleading information about their safety and effectiveness led to a surge in prescriptions and subsequent misuse. In 2019, a federal database reported that opioid manufacturers shipped 168 billion oxycodone and hydrocodone pills to pharmacies across the United States over a seven-year period.

Consequences and Impact:

1. Addiction and dependence: Opioids are highly addictive substances. Prolonged use can lead to physical and psychological dependence, making it challenging for individuals to discontinue their use without professional intervention. In fact, studies have found that approximately 21-29% of patients prescribed opioids for chronic pain misuse them.

2. Overdose and fatalities: Opioid overdose has become a leading cause of accidental deaths globally. The potency of opioids and the risk of respiratory depression increase the likelihood of overdoses, particularly when used in combination with other substances. The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) reports that in 2019, more than 70% of overdose deaths in the United States involved an opioid.

3. Societal and economic burdens: The opioid epidemic places a significant burden on society and the economy. Costs associated with healthcare, addiction treatment, lost productivity, and criminal justice involvement are substantial, affecting communities and straining healthcare resources. According to a study published in the Medical Care Journal, the economic burden of prescription opioid overdose, abuse, and dependence in the United States exceeded $78 billion in 2013.

Addressing the Issue:

1. Enhanced prescriber education: Healthcare providers should receive comprehensive education on evidence-based pain management practices, including non-opioid alternatives, risk assessment, and recognizing signs of addiction. Incorporating robust pain management education into medical school curriculum and providing continuing education for practicing physicians can help improve prescribing practices.

2. Improved prescription monitoring programs: The implementation of prescription drug monitoring programs (PDMPs) enables healthcare providers to track patients' opioid prescriptions, helping identify potential instances of overuse, misuse, or "doctor shopping" to obtain multiple prescriptions. By enhancing the accessibility of PDMPs, healthcare professionals can make more informed decisions when prescribing opioids.

3. Non-opioid pain management alternatives: Encouraging the use of alternative pain management approaches, such as physical therapy, cognitive-behavioral therapy, acupuncture, and non-opioid medications, can provide effective relief for patients while minimizing the risks associated with opioids. Integrating multidisciplinary pain management teams and expanding insurance coverage for non-opioid therapies can help promote their utilization.

4. Public awareness campaigns: Raising public awareness about the dangers of opioid misuse and the importance of safe storage and disposal of medication can help prevent diversion and reduce the supply available for abuse. Public health initiatives, educational campaigns, and community outreach programs can help reduce the stigma associated with addiction and encourage individuals to seek appropriate help and treatment.

Conclusion:
To conclude, the over-prescription and abuse of opioid-class pain medication present a grave challenge to the healthcare industry and society as a whole. By addressing the root causes, promoting prescriber education, implementing monitoring systems, and advocating for alternative pain management methods, significant progress can be made in mitigating the devastating impact of the opioid epidemic. Collaboration between healthcare professionals, policymakers, and the community is vital to achieving effective and sustainable solutions that prioritize patient well-being while minimizing the risks associated with opioid use. Through comprehensive efforts and continued vigilance, it is possible to curb the opioid epidemic and foster a safer and more responsible approach to pain management.