Did you take your pills? | Teen Ink

Did you take your pills?

February 7, 2022
By elaynasherer BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
elaynasherer BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone.


Every morning I take two pills, one for my ADHD and one for my anxiety. Somehow the whole school knows. So from every step I make to every word I say, I’m still the girl with ADHD. I laugh when something’s funny, “did you take your pills?”. I made a funny joke “did you take your pills?”. My whole life revolves around pills. I hate it, I will ask a person to stop and they will keep going at you till you cry only to make a point, a point saying “you didn’t take your pills” in reality I did, I was just having fun. 


With ADHD you're not allowed to laugh, be silly, or anything in some sort of fun manner, you're only allowed to sit still and do your work, or you're crazy and you didn’t take your pills . You only listen to what people say, if they say you didn’t take your pills, you didn’t — stop saying you did— you didn’t. Because everyone knows best and if you get mad about it the teacher will be mad that you are “causing problems and being rude” because that’s it that’s all that you are in another’s eyes. 


I’m a girl with ADHD, I can’t control myself, I’m crazy, I’m annoying, I’m disrespectful , I’m rude, and I’m a bad influence to my peers.


Though all these things are what people are trying to make me and anyone else that struggle with ADHD believe, I know that we are the strongest minded people ever, we have to fight are needs and wants to be “normal”, I have to put in way more work than anyone else to understand something and to sit still while paying attention. It may come easy to everyone but not even the pills can keep me completely  together, and sadly they don’t stop me from being me— like you want


The author's comments:

As someone who wants to bring awareness to this daily issue to all teens that struggle with this problem, I decided to write. Whenever I get on my computer and write my emotions fall to the page and bring all emotions that ball up in me. I want people to know how it feels to live like others with ADHD. From writing this and posting it on facebook to many teens and children and mothers of their children speaking out with this same problem. I wanted to take it a step further to reach all teens.