Is Forced Vaccination Wrong? | Teen Ink

Is Forced Vaccination Wrong?

By jsana BRONZE, Nairobi, Other
jsana BRONZE, Nairobi, Other

In 2021, vaccination has become a really big issue due to a vaccine that was released against covid; a lot of people refusing to take it and others pressuring and forcing them to take the vaccine. So, my research question is: should people be forced to get vaccinated? 

In this controversy, there are 2 sides being pro-mandates and anti-mandates. pro-mandates are people who believe vaccines are a must-have, and everyone should take them to stay healthy and up to date with modern medical technology; and anti-mandates believe that vaccines should not be required because they believe you should have a choice in what happens to your body, and/or they believe in other ways to heal the body when sick (CDC, n.d). 

My call to action to this is that if you can get vaccinated, then I strongly recommend that you should do it because you could be contributing to spreading the virus to more people, but what happens to your body should be your call at the end of the day and you should not be forced into doing something to yourself, but there's also no telling how you could react to the virus if you catch it (10 reasons to get vaccinated, 2021). I think pro mandates have a pure idea in mind because forcing people to get vaccinated is a health concern with good intentions, and it’s not forcing you to do something bad to yourself and instead most likely saving your life. 

A lot of people struggle to see the difference between anti-vaxxers and anti-mandates because they both refuse vaccinations but, the real truth is that anti-mandates refuse mandatory things that affect their bodies because they feel the need to know what happens to them. they feel that they deserve a choice even if it’s harmless, and actually safe and healthy for you which is fair because everyone should have a choice in what happens to them compared to anti-vaxxers who mindlessly refuse all vaccinations (Haelle, 2021). 

Pro-mandates are also different from pro-vaxxers because unlike them pro-mandates think vaccines should be taken without question, with or without your consent because like I said before if you are not vaccinated you could be contributing to the spread of the virus among many other reasons. Compared to pro-vaxxers who are people that strongly believe in vaccines and recommend everyone to get vaccinated over forcing them (Idlebrook, 2021).