Music and its Effects on The Brain | Teen Ink

Music and its Effects on The Brain

By Anushkazite BRONZE, Pune, New York
Anushkazite BRONZE, Pune, New York

Music has the power to represent different feelings and barge into the soul with no boundaries and no limitations.

This so called language of emotion has a much greater effect on our brain and the human body as a whole than we give it credit for.

A study by Scripps Howard News Service found that rock music causes abnormal neuron structures in the Hippocampus. Hippocampus being that part of the brain that is associated with learning and memory.

Not only does music have an impact on the human brain, different types of music have different effects. Rock music, in the likes of Queen, Guns N’ Roses, AC/DC seems to increase adrenalin levels in adolescents while if they were to listen to Ludovico Einaudi, there is significant change in emotions, as such slow piano music brings a much more calming effect.

The mystery of why music has such effect on our brain, creating peak emotions is in the fact that listening to music increases the amount of dopamine in the brain. Dopamine is that specific neurotransmitter that is produced in the brain and helps control the brain’s reward and pleasure centers.

Looking at the positive effects, music helps the brain trigger particular emotions, memories and thoughts, which often lead to more positive effects toward mental health. Researchers from the MARCS Institute for Brain, Behaviour and Development have found that music increases memory and retention as well as maximises learning capabilities.

We are surrounded by sounds and patterns. In all probability, music touches our souls so deeply because we humans are born poetic and life has a rhythm of its own.

While we do notice that music has a significant effect on us, most tend not actually know how or why it has the influence that it is does on our minds and emotions. With my article, I hope to give the readers an short yet satisfying insight on the same, without going into lengthy explanations but still providing them with adequate knowledge of the same.