Ocean Pollution | Teen Ink

Ocean Pollution

By madsoccer21 SILVER, Rolla, Missouri
madsoccer21 SILVER, Rolla, Missouri

Ocean pollution has been a growing problem for three centuries. Many different type of pollution effect our ocean, especially trash from rivers flowing into the ocean, and pesticides on farms washing off in the rain. Ocean pollution is a problem that needs to be addressed.

5 Gyres, a foundation against ocean pollution found that huge amounts of confetti sized pieces and garbage floating around in the ocean. The Great Pacific Garbage Patch in the largest stretch of floating plastic and debris in the northwest. It’s located northeast of Hawaii and 1000 miles from California. All of our trash just travels by undercurrents and forms a huge mass in the middle of the ocean.  

The Algalita Marine Foundation partnered with 5 gyres and sent expeditions to regions in all five oceans. They found masses of trash in every ocean. This trash is mostly illegal or very dangerous for the environment. Trash Travels stated that 60% of the trash is disposable things like cigarettes, plastic bags, and plastic drink bottles. According to the Sea Education Association(SEA) , one of Captain Moore’s expeditions found hundreds of dead fish and over one third of these fish were dead because of trash intake. In other words Moore is trying to show how our oceanic pollution is affecting our marine population. The plastic ingested can cut holes in important intestines or get lodged in them.  A few fish only two to three inches head up to eighty four piece of plastic inside that caused fatality.

Fish birds and other marine animals mistake small piece of plastic as food. Marine biology is trying to say that all of the plastic we throw in the ocean eventually got smaller and can end fatally for smaller or larger marine animals. The plastic fish and animals swallow just goes back into the water when they die.

Many pieces of pollution that come from us can eventually come back and hurt us by poisoning the water we choose to swim in and polluting our beaches and rivers. Before you dump your trash think about how the effects could hurt you or others. Pesticides could have a very chemical and harmful affect on children. Humans are the same amount of risk of animals when it comes to ocean pollution

There can be up to 1000 deaths in 100 years from ocean pollution. These deaths are caused by the evaporation of nuclear waste. Most of the dumping we do into the ocean is illegal but nothing ever gets done about it because no authorities enforce it. This pollution can affect us just as much as the animals maybe even more. National Geographic says that there has been evidence the ocean suffered pollution from mankind for a millennium.
The dumping of industrial waste has reached unacceptable levels in some countries that are still developing because they didn't have a place to put the trash. Most of the laws and rules about trash are being bent in those countries. Radioactive waste is also dumped in the ocean and it comes from the nuclear power plants. This waste remains radioactive for decades it cost a lot to remove and countries don't want to spend that much money. The concentration of radioactive waste in concrete drums varies as does the damage to animals and humans.

If this terrible pollution doesn't stop in three centuries we could have 60% more pollution than we do now. Imagine going for a swim on the beach and having piece of trash floating around you or imagine cutting your feet and pieces of glass and plastic that wash ashore. Just remember ocean pollution can have very damaging effects on you or the people you value the most.