Internet Use Plagues Our Society | Teen Ink

Internet Use Plagues Our Society

By tobeortonotbe BRONZE, Fort Plain, New York
tobeortonotbe BRONZE, Fort Plain, New York

We should all start to live before we get to old. Fear is stupid. So are regrets.
~Marilyn Monroe

In the past seven years, internet use has grown twenty-five percent. Not a big surprise, but most of this increase comes from our age group. Internet use by teens and young adults, ages sixteen through twenty-four, has skyrocketed from sixty percent of teens regularly using social media to ninety percent. Just last year, over five billion dollars was paid to developers who have their applications ready for download off
the Apple store. A popular game, Flappy Bird, makes fifty thousand dollars a day. All of this information points to how the online world has made us less social people.

Instead of having to search for our one true love, online dating websites enable us to be lazier. People can now find their “perfect” matches online, and can chat, facetime, and get to know each other without ever coming face to face. People are more attracted to online dating because there might not be that awkwardness that keeps many single. Match.Com, a popular online dating site, recently revealed that there are upwards of twenty-one million users of their site. Over forty million adults and young adults have admitted to trying online dating. The online dating industry pulls in over one billion dollars annually. Because of this access to millions of “perfect” matches, a once-common social ritual is now being reduced to computer screens and arranged dates.

Online shopping has made us very unsocial. When we once had to physically go to the store, pick up an item, say our pleasantries with the clerk or salesperson, and then repeat in other stores, with a click or two of a button, we can get everything we need. Online stores may have some convenience, but, we are lessening our need for social interaction, small as it may be. People may now have more time, but what are they using that time for? Are they talking with their families and friends, or watching videos and tweeting? Over eighty-three percent of online users have made an online purchase. Even though we now have more time, we as a people don’t feel the need to interact with others as much.

People are starting to only feel comfortable online. Sites like Tumblr and Facebook are inviting to people who don’t enjoy speaking up in real life. The online community may seem close-nit, but how close can you be to someone who is thousands of miles away? People are sinking into the world of online alias’ where they can say what they want to say without ever revealing their face or name. People are spending so much time online, computer addiction is a real thing. Rehab centers are now offering specialized programs for everything to social networking to programming to games like solitaire.

Being comfortable only online leads to more social problems than it is worth.Now, some may say that people are more accepting online.

Others may also say that people are using their free time for face to face contact. However, people’s addiction to the internet can have many consequences on their life. Internet use can cause negligence of your job and school performance, family life, relationships with others, and pets. We all know that ignoring our pets can be a bad mistake. People could get charged with criminal negligence of an animal. Think of all the fines and legalissues that overuse of the internet can bring to you.

In conclusion, people spending too much time of the internet has shrunk our society and our lives. People don’t have to experience social contact anymore. We as a society should take action for the situation at hand, overuse of the internet.

I wrote this essay for an ELA argumentative essay a little while back, and I did well with it. It is based off some research I did on my own, and an article found here, on Teen Ink.