Why They Shouldn't Be Hunted. | Teen Ink

Why They Shouldn't Be Hunted.

By Wolfsong GOLD, Willow Spring, North Carolina
Wolfsong GOLD, Willow Spring, North Carolina

Wolves. Now, I know what you're thinking; they're killers. They have no hearts, no cares for the human race. If they saw one of us in the wild, they'd kill us and pick their teeth with our bones.
Wrong.
Wolves are creatures I have been researching from the time I was eight years old on. They're fascinating, marvelous creatures with their own personalities. They only kill our livestock because we invaded their homes FIRST. Wolves' natural prey varies from region to region. They could be hunting anything from fish to elk; anything that is a large, hoofed animal is usually hunted by a group of wolves called packs. What they do is they pick out the youngest, oldest, or sickest one in the herd, and they attack it for their meal. This, believe it or not, keeps the herds strong and healthy, if not better than before the prey was killed.
Wolves are social animals, and usually they live in packs. They have ranks in these packs; the Alpha, Beta, regular members, pups, and the Omega. The Alpha is the leader of the pack, and usually the Alpha can be either male or female, or there could be a time where both male and female lead together. The Beta, or second-in-command, can also be run by both male and female. They usually mate with the Alphas if either the Alpha male or female don't want to mate during that season. The Omega is the lowest rank in the pack, and usually they feed after the pups when prey is caught. They're usually timid, and they are beaten down if they challenge the Alpha and loose.
Wolves are more scared of us than we are of them, so they would most likely run from us if we saw them in the wild, unless we cornered them, THEN they'd attack. Wolves are creatures just like any other, and they deserve respect, a place to live, and food to eat.

[NOTE: If you see a wolf in the wild, DO NOT approach it. It most likely doesn't want to be bothered, and you should only approach it if you are a professional. Also, please do not feed wild animals, as they will continue to come back to you and/or your home.]

I heard on the news that wolves are being taken off of the endangered species list. I believe neither they or any other animal should be hunted for sport, and they deserve rights just like we humans do. I've had an interest in wolves since I was very small, and I plan to study them when I grow up.

attacked said...
Wolffaer62 that is completely wrong wolves DO attack humans I personaly have been attacked in my back yard.  Here in Alberta we just had a guy killed four years ago because he also was attacked.

burritocat SILVER, Denver, Colorado

What matters an eternity of damnation to someone who has found in one second the infinity of joy? - Charles Baudelaire

Absolutely true! wolves are really shy around humans---and they never atteack a human just for do it.hopefully they will live many years to come.....