No More Trash Islands | Teen Ink

No More Trash Islands

By Maecampisi BRONZE, Swannanoa, North Carolina
Maecampisi BRONZE, Swannanoa, North Carolina

If I had all the power, money, and resources in the world to save the planet, I would be a happy person. First, I would have all the power over my country, by being president. I would make sure there were laws that proclaimed that plastic would be discontinued in every state, shutting down factories that made items such as Ziplock baggies, disposable forks, spoons and knives, and toys made from plastic, and even microplastics, in your clothing. I would then replace all of those items with either compostable materials or edible materials or recyclable. I would make sure that no toy, clothing item, Tupperware, bag, food container, bottle cap, or anything else that could be potentially harmful to the environment, or to any living mammal, aquatic animal, or terrestrial, is banned, and never used again. Imagine a country living solely off of compostable/edible/renewable/sustainable resources. Imagine an entire planet like that. Once, a photographer named Caroline Power discovered a 2 mile-long island of garbage floating off the coast of Honduras. It was made up of mostly plastic and styrofoam. 2 miles long, and just trash! Next time you use a plastic bag or buy that little toy that’s going to break in around 5 minutes after using it, re-think your decisions, and don’t add to the island. You can make a difference, in your community, society, and your world by making environmentally smart decisions. We are a long way from banning plastic altogether, but maybe one day, if we think of the future of our planet, and its young people, we will realize we need to rethink and reimagine what our world can be.

I feel strongly about the future of our planet. If we don't stop shunning what climate change really is, and its long-lasting effects of it, it will damage planet earth, and the living creatures on it, even you and me.