Can the Vegan Diet Save Our Planet | Teen Ink

Can the Vegan Diet Save Our Planet

March 13, 2023
By Kkiepke1 BRONZE, Colorado Spgs, Colorado
Kkiepke1 BRONZE, Colorado Spgs, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

9 years. This is the time that we have left to save our planet. Throughout time, the older generations knew the importance of change for the environment, but continued with their ways due to lack of concern. They not only continued with these ways, but they maximized them, draining the life out of Earth. These generations had no consideration for the well-being of Genz and now the effects have fallen onto us. We don’t have time to look over the implications of our own actions. We need to make a change, and this change must be made today. As a generation, we need to collectively foster the resuscitation of our home. The meat industry has such burdensome consequences on Earth. By simply shifting to a vegan diet, we can individually make a change, a change that matters. 


The trees are the lungs of the earth, but they are being cut down at an unnerving rate. Sewell explains, “Burn the trees down and they not only stop producing oxygen, their captured carbon is released back into the atmosphere. Place cattle on the land burnt down, and our most critical natural defense against climate change has been replaced by methane-making machines” (310). This quote puts society’s actions into very simple terms. People are not opening their eyes to the extermination of Earth that their very own diet is making. As individuals continue stuffing their mouths with meat, luscious forests full of life are being cut down by the second. Not only does this eliminate the beautiful nature that habits on this planet, but it eliminates the longevity that society will be able to live on Earth. People act like they are causing no harm, when in reality they are killing their home and all life forms on it. Furthermore, Behring passionately warns, “Recent Analysis by Greenpeace International suggested that, by the start of 2020, some 50 million hectares of forest — an area the size of Spain — is likely to have been destroyed for global commodity production.” As a population, individuals are taking more than the Earth can produce. When people are over-using the resources on this planet, the results following are sure to be distinct. This prosperous number should be humiliating. If an individual would take the time to discover the vast negative effects society is creating, they would realize the crucial need for change and action, not only for the benefit of themselves but the benefit of the environment. 


Global carbon dioxide levels are at an all-time high this year, hugely affecting everything around us. So many different aspects of the meat industry encourage high CO2 levels. The website Ecotricity voices, “The burning of fossil fuels, emissions from transport, and the environmental impact of intensive farming have all contributed to high levels of CO2 in our atmosphere. And scientists say this is the fastest and largest increase in CO2 the world has ever seen” (Budd). This is very concerning because CO2 can cause exceedingly harmful effects. CO2 warms the environment, leading to hotter temperatures, more severe storms, a warmer, rising ocean, increased drought, and much more. All stages of meat production add to the inclination of this CO2 in our environment and should be looked upon with great gravity. Rather, people are turning their shoulders because they are not disciplined enough to make a change for the greater good. In order to save our planet, we must be willing to give up meat and switch to a less damaging lifestyle. Huge effects will continue and furthermore progress with the trends of today; “If we continue with our current levels of meat consumption, it's very likely that we will have more flooding, more hurricanes, extreme weather that is associated with exceeding the two-degree target for climate change... if nothing is done then those pressures could increase by 50 to 90% and by that time it will basically exceed all environmental limits or so-called planetary boundaries that define a safe operating space for humanity” (A Drastic Cut in Meat Consumption is Needed). The research provided in this is alarming. The current American diet should become frowned upon based on the irreversible effects it is creating on Earth. If individuals can not wake up and understand the severity of their diet choices, Earth is going to become an unsustainable home for humans. With these horrific increases in the destruction of Earth, change must be made and it must be made today. Loria comments on the inability of past generations to change;  “On June 23, 1988, NASA climate scientist James Hansen told the US Senate it was time to acknowledge that climate change was happening and take action to limit its effects.

Thirty years later, the world has continued to burn fossil fuels faster and faster, cranking planet-warming carbon dioxide levels higher than they've been for millions of years. Without taking action soon, it'll cost future generations trillions to try to deal with the problem.” This underlines the lack of productivity that has been taken for a long period of time. Society has known the huge effects that these greenhouse gases were going to take on our environment, but still chose to ignore it because of what they wanted in the moment. It is time to start thinking about our futures, our children’s futures, and our grandchildren’s futures. The time to act is now, this is not something that we can continually push off. The effects have begun, and will continue rapidly. Although change has not been taken for so long, it is time that we switch our perspectives on the true effects that we are causing to our home. 


The outrageous amounts of meat produced are creating a detrimental effect on Earth’s water. 

The amount of water necessary to produce meat, eggs, and cheese is unacceptable; “Almost 900 gallons of water are needed to produce 1 pound of cheese; 477 gallons for a pound of eggs; and 2,500 gallons for 1 pound of beef” (McCarthy 1). This statistic rips away the blinders that society has allowed itself to wear. The environment is crying out for help, whilst humans are parching the Earth’s water just to satisfy their dietary needs. The impacts on this Earth are progressively becoming less and less irreversible, which demonstrates the rise of action that society needs to take. The water required for meat production compared to the water needed for a vegan diet is shocking. Individuals need to stop being selfish and begin making submissive decisions for the good of society. Additionally, Cho explains the ramifications the meat industry has on the quality of our water. He says, “Disease-causing pathogens like e-coli, and parasites such as cryptosporidium and giardia are transmitted through contaminated water. Nitrogen and phosphorus in the runoff eventually reach larger water bodies where they can produce algal blooms and subsequent dead zones where no living creatures can survive.” Whilst all water contamination does not source from animal agriculture, a main portion of it is affected by this. These pathogens and parasites can look confusing and unfamiliar, but it is important for an individual to educate themselves on what these are and what effects they can have. Things like e-coli, cryptosporidium, and giardia may not be mentioned very often, but they can have some pretty serious long-term effects on an individual’s health. Immediate effects of these contaminants in water could include headaches, nausea, cramps, and more. While these are not very severe, long-term effects of drinking contaminated water include things like amnesia, high blood pressure, and sometimes cancer. There is a reason that these places can’t sustain living creatures, and society should raise their concerns about the impact that animal agriculture truly has on the water they are drinking daily. 


As a society, we are putting the needs of ourselves first, and therefore killing so many animals to the point of extinction. Statistically “more than a thousand species are projected to lose at least 25 percent of their habitats by 2050 if no changes are made, making it far more likely that they’ll go extinct” (Splitter). As the desire for more consumption of meat continues to escalate, the resources needed to produce this will rapidly increase as well. To produce these insane amounts of meat, a magnitude of land is necessary. This land that is taken and used for meat production is not just empty, it is filled with animals and their homes. The American diet is not only hurting our Earth, but it’s also hurting the animals that habit it. An article titled The Sixth Extinction elucidates, “The previous five extinctions had occurred over the last 450 million years, due mainly to meteorites and volcanic eruptions. The sixth extinction, however, has to do with human beings. A study by the University of Connecticut (United States), published in the Science journal, indicates that climate change is accelerating this, as climate change by itself will cause the disappearance of nearly 8% of the current species.” Throughout the years, the five extinctions have been caused by earthly developments. These are things that are out of society’s control, and can not be viewed negatively towards humans. The idea of the sixth extinction rooting back to humans is repulsive. Individuals should be saddened by the deaths they are causing to get what they want for dinner. If more people were aware of the cruelty they were causing to animals, hopefully, they would feel inclined to change their ways or at least improve them. This statistic paints humans as barbarous, and rightfully so. Individuals are making these choices for instant gratification and pleasure, rather than assessing the chain of consequences they are leaving behind them. 


I implore you to not only acknowledge the effects that you are creating on the environment but moreover change your ways. Yes, a vegan diet may be a little more difficult, but it is time to make difficult decisions for our own futures. The vegan diet is not as daunting as it is made out to be. One key factor to this diet, however, is making sure you are getting all of the required nutrients in your diet to sustain you. Key expert, Mindy Kiepke speaks on the lessons she has learned throughout her 6 years of being vegan. She expresses that the beginning of this diet can prove difficult, but after time goes on, it becomes quite easy and natural. With the growing numbers of vegans today, choices are limitless. Whether this be at the grocery store, restaurants, or just recipes, this diet is raising in popularity which presents a perfect opportunity for more people to convert. What really helped Mindy was implementing high-protein ingredients in her diet. Some of Mindy’s personal favorites have included beans, nuts, quinoa, tofu, and oats. She has also found that trying new recipes has encouraged her immensely. At the beginning of her switch, she felt like there was nothing she could really eat and actually enjoy. But by continually trying new recipes, she has been able to find great choices that taste just as good and don’t cause such negative repercussions (Kiepke).  I urge you to at least try this diet, try to make a positive change for our home before time runs out!


Citations: 

“Agribusiness & Deforestation.” Greenpeace USA, greenpeace.org/usa/forests/issues/agribusiness/.

Corporativa, Iberdrola. “El Cambio Climático Acelera La Sexta Extinción.” Iberdrola, iberdrola.com/sustainability/climate-change-endangered-species.

"Could flexitarianism save the planet? Scientists say a drastic cut in meat consumption is needed, but this requires political will; Scientists say a drastic cut in meat consumption is needed, but this requires political will." Guardian [London, England], 19 Jan. 2019. Gale In Context: Opposing Viewpoints, link.gale.com/apps/doc/A570242098/OVIC?u=pike&sid=bookmark-OVIC&xid=c5014340. Accessed 7 Mar. 2023.

Loria, Kevin. “Past Generations Created a Climate Crisis for Millennials and Generation Z. Today Marks 30 Years of Inaction.” Business Insider, Business Insider, businessinsider.com/baby-boomers-millennials-climate-change-generations-2017-7.

McCarthy, Colman. "Are you willing to change your diet?" National Catholic Reporter, vol. 51, no. 19, 3 July 2015, p. 29. Gale In Context: Opposing Viewpoints, link.gale.com/apps/doc/A421907600/OVIC?u=pike&sid=bookmark-OVIC&xid=9e540fcf. Accessed 7 Mar. 2023.

Sewell, Christina. “REMOVING THE MEAT SUBSIDY: OUR COGNITIVE DISSONANCE AROUND ANIMAL AGRICULTURE.” Journal of International Affairs, vol. 73, no. 1, 2019, pp. 307–18. JSTOR, jstor.org/stable/26872805. Accessed 7 Mar. 2023.

“Six Scary Facts about Climate Change.” Ecotricity, ecotricity.co.uk/our-news/2017/six-scary-facts-about-climate-change.

Splitter, Jenny. “The Way We Eat Could Lead to Habitat Loss for 17,000 Species by 2050.” Vox, Vox, 18 Feb. 2021, vox.com/future-perfect/22287498/meat-wildlife-biodiversity-species-plantbased. 

25, Renee Cho |October, et al. “How Hamburgers Pollute Our Water.” State of the Planet, 13 Sept. 2019, news.climate.columbia.edu/2010/10/25/how-hamburgers-pollute-our-water/


The author's comments:

Hopefully, this can be utilized to educate the teen community and induce them to make a change!