Climate change | Teen Ink

Climate change

February 18, 2023
By Bethanblack PLATINUM, Kington, Please Select
Bethanblack PLATINUM, Kington, Please Select
41 articles 32 photos 24 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Boys are meant to ruin your lipstick, not your mascara" --Marilyn Monroe


Climate change is a huge issue that everyone knows about but nobody seems to do anything about it. When we're told to stop littering, you think to yourself ,"what use will I do?". But the truth is every little helps. Humanity is around 9 years away from complete and irreversible disaster that could result in the end of humankind.  

 

In 100 years, the earth will become warmer, the average temperature will increase. There will be several new weather patterns and the sea levels will rise. Eventually humans would die out. If the insect population continues to decline, all birds that depend on insects for food will become extinct. 

 

In 50 years, future changes are expected to include a warmer atmosphere, a warmer and more acidic ocean, higher sea levels, and larger changes in precipitation patterns. Personally, I don't want this to happen. Already villages have been submerged and fires have been initiated more than ever.I think the worst part is knowing that the adults knew for 30 years whilst I was simply born into this world. And yet , I don't get a choice in how to change this because in this world, a child is irrelevant. We mean little to nothing because in society's eyes , we are not yet a person. But somehow we know what to do! We actually want to help. We are the ones fixing their mess! 

 

Eventually they have to listen because the whole didn't getting much better when we listen to them. Whilst we obviously need their help to spread word and find out new ways to help ,the fact is that they've been ignoring the elephant in the room. We need to help now because their is no other option. It shouldn't have had to come down to our survival but now that it has ,it is far more urgent that they help! 

 

Ways to help fight climate change are vast and never ending. However it may be harder to help as a teen but there are still many ways to help! One thing you can do is wear a jumper or hoodie instead of turning up the heating or use less electronics at once. Maybe you could ride your bike more than ask for a ride from a parent or carer. There are too many ways to list in an article so I deeply suggest you do some research.