How Often | Teen Ink

How Often

By Outcast4God PLATINUM, Farmersville, Texas
Outcast4God PLATINUM, Farmersville, Texas

"When I look at the night sky and see the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars you have set in place-- what mortals that you should think of us. Mere humans that you should care for us.
---Psalms 8:3-4

How often do we look upon those that have less than us and tell ourselves we are going to do something? How often do we take time out of our lives to help those that have nothing? How often do we pray for the people that sleep on the streets? How often do we even consider that people don't have homes?

There are so many in the world that have nothing. So many struggle just to survive. I'm not trying to sound like something from a movie. I'm being serious. If we look around, we will see people suffering.

What can you do to help? Yes, you! What can you do to make their life a little easier? Maybe you can volunteer at your local food bank. Give them a smile. Offer to buy them lunch. A small act of kindness goes a long way.

I've been working at my food pantry for 2 years now. I love seeing the people that walk through that door; adults, children, families. I make it a point to smile to them... to strike up a conversation as I help carry their food to their car. Because they need encouragement. And because I want to make a difference in their life.

How often do we realize that people need our help? My guess is not very often. But we can change that. We can spread kindness.