The Trials | Teen Ink

The Trials

January 15, 2013
By AustinS PLATINUM, Port St. Lucie, Florida
AustinS PLATINUM, Port St. Lucie, Florida
20 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Cowards die a thousand deaths, but the courageous taste death only once." -William Shakespeare


If you are reading this, then you are looking for advice. Well, search no further. I'm about to reveal the secret of bullying.

I was bullied for seven years. Everyday, I would walk in and the torment would not stop until I left to go home. At first, I ignored them, but eventually, if you hear someone tell you something about yourself, you start to believe it. I came home crying everyday. I hated the people that made me feel this way and I just wanted the pain to stop. Finally, I had enough.
One day in seventh grade, a bully crowded me and started to pick on me like usual, but today was different. I stood up and hurled insults back at him. He was shocked and speechless. Everyone started cheering me on. The bully left with his head down and I received the greatest gift I could have gotten: my self-respect.
After all this transpired, however, I found the bully crying. At first, I felt no sympathy, but the way he sounded reminded me of myself. I asked him what was wrong. It turned out he was bullied before he came to my school. He just didn't want the same thing to happen again. I talked to him for what seemed like hours. After that, he apologized for everything and I forgave him. Now, here's the crazy part: he is now my greatest friend.

My story is one of many like it. People hurt on the inside so they try to make themselves feel better by hurting others. All a person wants to feel is love. So, give him exactly that. Give your bully the love he or she doesn't get at home, friends, or anywhere. If they hit you or insult you, say I love and forgive you. Now, if this doesn't work, the second method is stand up and fight back. I'm not saying bring a gun or throw down in the halls. I'm saying fight with words. Show this bully you are dauntless and courageous. Use your wit to get out of your situation because black eyes and bullet wounds heal, but words last a lifetime. Now, it is up to you choose your methods. I have given you the tools you need to fight the problem. So, choose wisely and good luck.