Trump Really Won? | Teen Ink

Trump Really Won?

January 10, 2017
By Zack882 BRONZE, Decatur, Illinois
Zack882 BRONZE, Decatur, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

A couple weeks ago, I sat down with my whole family and watched election day coverage. My mom and brother aren’t too interested in politics, but my dad and I are obsessed. We watched the coverage all night, and I could barely process what was going on. Trump was actually going to win an election. I never actually felt like he had a chance, all the way from when he announced he was running over a year ago, nobody anyone took him seriously, and now he is our president.


A hilarious celebrity who is completely full of himself is our president. He hosted T.V. shows, had a roast on comedy central, he was already made fun of nonstop before he started running, and now he is our next president. As I sat there on my couch with my dad, we couldn’t believe it, even though he wanted Trump to win, he was so surprised that it actually happened. I don’t know how a celebrity president will affect this country, but I can tell you that a celebrity governor in California didn’t turn out well for them, and we have to hope that’s not the case for the country.


I can remember everything outrageous Donald Trump has said all the way back to the first day he began his campaign. I sat there in my room, watching primary coverage on my phone with the volume low so my parents could still hear their show on Netflix. On that phone, I watched Donald Trump tell his supporters that Mexico is sending rapists, drug dealers, and criminals over the border. What is this dude even trying to say? Not to just claim that all Mexicans are criminals, but that Mexico has control over who flees their country. People loved that speech, and the fact that people went along with his message all the way through the primaries, makes me feel a little less proud of the people in this country.


Those were just at the beginning of his campaign. He also attacked the appearance of Ted Cruz’s wife, made fun of a mentally handicapped person, and bragged about sexually assaulting people. How can you vote for that? I understand that the other option in the general election wasn’t a great person to vote for, but there were sixteen, I repeat, sixteen other candidates in the primaries. There was a brain surgeon, there were senators, there were governors, there were representatives, and the American people picked a celebrity who said outrageous things basically about everybody other than white males.


Now, on that same couch that I watched the election with my dad on, we watch coverage of protests. This election has brought so much anger into everybody, we ended up with what seems to be the two most disliked candidates of all time, so protesting was bound to happen no matter who sealed the victory. There is nothing wrong with protesting, I’m just saying that is how much everybody dislike the candidate they didn’t vote for this election. I guarantee you there would not have been a protest in 2012 if Mitt Romney would have snuck up on President Obama and stole the election. Do you remember when people kept religion and politics private? I know I remember my mom telling me that. Now, that mindset is gone. If you don’t believe that mindset is no longer relevant, think about what you’re reading about right now. You are reading a paper by a sixteen year old in high school, complaining about an election.


At the end of the day, we have to sit back and hope Donald Trump does a good job of bringing people together and running the country that voted him in.