Autumn 2014 Fashion Trends | Teen Ink

Autumn 2014 Fashion Trends

By olivia.ashley BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
olivia.ashley BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

Fall is a very exciting time of year.  For some, it is because of the leaves changing, the weather cooling, and knowing that the holidays are right around the corner.  One of the biggest reasons people love autumn is because of the fashion.  Each year, people flood the catwalks in New York City to try to get a sneak-peek at what the world’s top fashion designers have designed that year.  The runways are filled with new and appealing works of art that people cannot wait to get their hands on.  Whether you are able to shell out the money for the designer goods, or simply want to take inspiration from the shows, there is always something new for men and women alike.

One of the biggest trends this autumn is patterned dresses.  Brands like Burberry, Givenchy, and Prada have all debuted this look for fall 2014.  The nice thing about a patterned dress is that practically any pattern goes; anything from animal prints to florals and watercolors. Just pair the dress with a solid-colored pair of shoes and bag, this way the focus of the outfit will remain on the dress.  There is a print for everyone, whether you like subdued pigments, or neons, there is something for you.  A trend that can be worn simultaneously with your patterned dress is a belt to cinch your dress.  As mentioned with the solid-colored purse and shoes, choose a solid-colored belt to make your look more streamline.  This will accentuate your waist, and make your outfit more original than simply wearing the dress by itself.  Designers like Carven, Céline, and Marli have all been debuted this look on their runways.

Another captivating trend this season is known as the “It Jacket” of autumn 2014.  The thing that sets these jackets apart from others is the shearling or fur collar, or in most cases, a faux fur collar.  Besides the collar, the coat’s body can be a variety of materials, ranging from velvet to corduroy to leather.  If you are looking to wear a statement color, these coats provide a great opportunity to do so.  But, they seem to be most commonly seen in lighter colors, especially pale pink, which happens to be a trend in-it-of-itself this season!  Baby pink too springy for you? These jackets have also been spotted in multiple neutral shades, like browns and taupes.  They have been spotted on numerous runways, like that of Marc Jacobs, Alexander Wang, and Givenchy.  Plus, the Givenchy model was wearing a solid-colored belt with the jacket!  Do not be afraid to mix this season’s styles, the act of mixing trends is a trend itself!

In terms of the few trends I have reviewed in this article, overall I am very impressed by the fashion etiquettes for autumn.  I think some of the trends are very unique and not necessarily ones seen in the colder seasons in quite a while.  For example, the light pink trend is very uncommon for this time of year, as faint pink shades are typically seen on spring runways, alongside every other pastel.  The fact that pale pink is trendy at the moment is quite a surprise to many people, but seems to be catching on, as shown by Chanel, Fendi, and Dior.  The nice thing about the trend of baby pink is that it can be worn in many different ways. Whether you want it to be a color in your patterned dress, belt, jacket or any other piece, it can be incorporated easily.    These trends are all very wearable, so I encourage everyone to try at least one of them out this autumn.