Gandhi the Great Soul | Teen Ink

Gandhi the Great Soul

By devon1234 BRONZE, Kent, Washington
devon1234 BRONZE, Kent, Washington

What would you do to free people under rule from another country? This is a question that could be asked of Gandhi. Mahatma Gandhi was born on October 2, 1869 in Porbandar, India. The Indian people called Gandhiji “Mahatma”, meaning excellent soul. Gandhi studied law in London and returned to India in 1891 to practice. The name given to him as Mahatma fit well with how Gandhi helped the Indian’s, and how they respected him. Mahatma Gandhi assisted many people with their problems, and had a goal to free Indian people from British rule. Gandhi was an excellent political and spiritual leader for India, when they were under rule from the British Empire.
As he continued leading India to independence he started many various campaigns against the British. Gandhi’s non-violent protesting caught on quickly. As a leader he did not fight in violence. Also he was honored by Indian’s as the father of the Indian nation. Through non-violent resistance he attempted to free Indians. After staying in Durban to fight the injustices against Indians in South Africa, Gandhi moved back to India. He studied law and spent twenty years opposing discriminatory legislation against Indians. From this the British government judged that type of protesting revolutionary. Also in 1920 British troops killed many innocent Indians from the cause.
Gandhi constantly started many various campaigns against the British government, and in 1947 India finally got its independence from Britain. He also instigated a policy of non-cooperation towards the British. Then after he was imprisoned for a short time, and in 1924 he called an end to the policy because of India’s increasing violence towards Britain. As a pioneer of Satyagraha, or resistance through mass non-violent civil disobedience. He led nationwide campaigns to ease poverty, expand women’s rights, build religious and ethnic amity, and increase economic self-reliance. Overall he aimed to achieve Swaraj or the independence of India from foreign domination.
In 1942 he launched the Quit India civil disobedience movement demanding immediate independence for India. Gandhi spent a number of years in jail in both South Africa and India. As a practitioner of ahimsa, Gandhi swore to speak the truth and prefer that others do the same. After independence in 1947, he tried to stop the Hindu-Muslim conflict in Bengal, a policy which led to his assassination in Delhi by Nathuram Godse, a Hindu fanatic. Mahatma Gandhi was an excellent leader when India was under rule of the British Empire. Also he began many various campaigns against the British. Through his policy he instigated of non-cooperation towards the British.