Leadership Lessons: Empathy | Teen Ink

Leadership Lessons: Empathy

By RajitRanjanPandey SILVER, Tel Aviv, Other
RajitRanjanPandey SILVER, Tel Aviv, Other

A leader must be conscious of a subordinate’s situation. He must be able to accurately predict how the person would react. Recklessness and carelessness will only inspire a person to underperform and in extreme cases, quit.

The magic word here is empathy. This trait may appear Herculean to some; how they would predict the mind of a fellow human who is bound to think differently. Such a thought process is integrally flawed- it is a very easy task. A simple way to do so is by imagining yourself to be the other person. How would YOU feel if someone said that to you? Would such treatment be fair? This method will instantly lead to the correct verdict.

Empathy is not an expense, but very much rather a medicine. In this world of overtimes and overworking, who has the time and energy for remaining conscious of the other person’s feelings? Incorrect again. A Google study revealed that a major factor that determines a team’s success was empathy. The leaders who kept careful to hold their tone, anger and actions in order not to offend and upset their members often led their teams to success.

Empathy has numerous benefits, such as: -

1)    It creates an atmosphere that facilitates mutual trust and openness. It is much easier to resolve conflicts.

2)     People often ‘go on the front foot’ and embrace innovation.

3)     People are more committed and motivated as a result.

4)    Small setbacks do not deter the person from pursuing the goal.

5)    Eventually, your subordinates will voluntarily do the extra mile without seeking praise or benefits. The leader’s sheer presence becomes a gift.

The importance of empathy is compounded when you are leading a team of young adults or mercurial individuals or in rare circumstances, a set of overachievers who are used to running the show. Managing such individuals can often be very challenging.

So, the next time you lead a team, do make sure to be empathetic!

Questions to ponder on: -

1)    Consider this situation: You are managing a football team. Your star player has planned to take leave for a certain amount of time and had informed you of it beforehand. You had agreed, as he deserved it. Suddenly, the fixtures become very important and may determine whether you will continue as manager or not. Your team is severely weakened. Two options are available: either cancel your star player’s leave, or field a weak team. What would you choose?

The third lesson in this series.

Do check out the preceding two!! Hope these help!

RajitR BRONZE said...
on Sep. 9 at 10:17 am
RajitR BRONZE, Gurgaon, Other
Very well articulation about the importance of Empathetic attitude for leadership.....thanks