Social Media Disadvantages | Teen Ink

Social Media Disadvantages

December 13, 2022
By ellaw123 SILVER, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
ellaw123 SILVER, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 articles 6 photos 0 comments

When you hear the words “social media” what do you think of? Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Snapchat are what I imagine. I am sure we can all admit that we have one or even all of these that were named. While Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat are easy ways to communicate with friends and family, very few people stop to consider the implications its usage may have for them in the future, or the hidden dangers of having an account. I think we should lower the use of these apps and spend more time being present and in the moment.

I am a big social media user, and understand how someone can spend much more time than planned online. I also understand that people are very busy, and that it is almost impossible to keep in touch with everyone between going to school, work, and other everyday activities. I find it hard to delete these apps because if I do, I would feel disconnected from all of my friends.

Most people believe that social messaging is more of a benefit than a consequence, but using social media can actually be harmful. Social media is something most kids, teens, and even some adults are using all the time. It has become a part of our generation’s lives. Having people on their phones all day long is damaging. Instead of talking to someone face-to-face and hanging out, people prefer just texting, facetime, or going on social networks. For some people understanding a life without social media is near impossible.

Cyberbullies have used these platforms to their advantage by threatening people anonymously by calling them names or sometimes by telling them to not show up at school, or to die and kill themselves. About 37% of young people between the ages of 12 and 17 have been bullied online(findlaw.com). This type of behavior is unacceptable because by bullies being able to go undercover people who might have been afraid to say something can now do so without having to worry about being discovered. Social media is the key to all of these bullies, without the use of social media most of these bullies wouldn't even bother anybody. They would realize that they will most likely get caught or get into a fight. And most people are too afraid to do this.

Although there are many downsides to having social media there are also a few good things. Social media allows people to improve their relationships and make new friends. According to socialnetworking.com, 93% of adults on Facebook use it to connect with family members, 91% use it to connect with current friends, and 87% use it to connect with friends from the past. 72% of all teens connect with friends via social media. 81% of teens ages 13 to 17 reported that social media makes them feel more connected to the people in their lives, and 68% said using it makes them feel supported in tough times. Additionally, 57% of teens said that they have made new friends online(pewresearch.org). Even with all of these statistics, social media could also have a negative effect on your future job or career. 

Some people who see a personal social media website could be a friend, potential employer, and even a stranger. Students should monitor what they are posting online. You could be a teenager today who is 15 and say inappropriate things, and then as an adult looking for a job it could be harder.

Social media could ruin your life in many different ways, the examples I explained are only some of these possible ways. I am proposing that people take a break and rejoin the normal world by reducing their social media presence.