The Reality of Today | Teen Ink

The Reality of Today

May 23, 2022
By Anonymous

I never knew how evil the world could be for a minority like myself. As an African American young independent woman, the world seemed easy to me growing up. My days were simple, and I had nothing to worry about other than doing good in school and being respectful to my friends and those around me. As I entered high school it wasn't all sunshine and rainbows as it was when I was younger. The school was harder, making friends was harder, and trying to find me amid social media and society's beauty standards as a plus-sized girl was hard. It was a rude awakening I wasn't truly prepared for. It only got worse as my community continued to face hate and discrimination and the only thing, I could do was make others aware of what was going on. Sharing on social media what the news has said or what my family has heard about. It makes me feel scared because in a couple of weeks I am going out into the world on a new journey that I know I am not prepared for and that no one should have to prepare me for. The world has not become a place wherein every city, country, state, town, or village of African Americans is guaranteed safety. This year I have read a lot of news articles covering laws to ban discrimination against black hairstyles to see on the news about schools reprimanding white students for hate speech and discriminatory acts. I am very blessed to be and have the community I was given, but who knows what life has in store for me.


The author's comments:

This is piece is more of a rant. It started as a free verse but, I had too much on my heart and mind to share and I am new to Teen Ink so I'm not sure under what category it fits in so I put other, I just felt like the website that was recommended by a teacher would be a good place to express myself even more