Social Media Ruins Mental Health | Teen Ink

Social Media Ruins Mental Health

April 21, 2022
By antea_sulaj1 SILVER, Tirana, Other
antea_sulaj1 SILVER, Tirana, Other
5 articles 1 photo 0 comments

12 years old, that is the average age at which this generation opens a social media account (Albano). Social media is a big part of most teenagers’ lives. It allows us to create online identities, connect with others, and build social networks. Platforms also educate teens about a range of topics, including healthy behaviors and exposing them to current events. However, social media also negatively affects teenagers leading to severe issues with their mental health.  


According to mayoclinic.org, “A 2019 study of more than 6,500 12- to 15-year-olds in the U.S. found that those who spent more than three hours a day using social media might be at heightened risk for mental health problems.” Other research has found a link between excessive social media use and depression or anxiety symptoms, and that the more you use it, the more likely you are to experience these things.  When they go online, every kid who is concerned about their self-image and who they are, who is worried about fitting in or what other people think of them, will undoubtedly compare themselves to the number of likes, friends, or followers that other people have. They're looking at everyone and everything negatively, thinking they will never look like the perfect, photoshopped model in the photograph. This mentality puts them at risk of developing suicidal thoughts, especially when you add in bullying or hate comments too. This can also lead to sleep deprivation, which adds to the many reasons why people suffer from mental diseases (Albano). 


Additionally, social media increases anxiety by increasing teens’ ability to be kept up to date with the activities their friends are doing (Edmonds). Fear of missing out, or F.O.M.O., is the fear of not being included or missing out on something, such as going out when others are. FOMO has been connected to an increase in social media use, as well as a decrease in mood and life satisfaction. You become more aware of what you're losing out on, such as seeing photos of friends having fun together online while you're not around. 


In my opinion, social media is like an addiction, and there are many things parents can do to encourage a healthy use of social media and eliminate most negative effects that it has for their children. For starters, setting reasonable limits like talking to you child about how to avoid letting social media affect their sleep schedule, maybe even agree on a bedtime. Discouraging you child from gossiping and bullying, this way they won't want to do it online. Lastly, encourage face to face contact with their friends. They need to enjoy their childhood instead of wasting all of it behind a screen.  


In conclusion, social media hugely impacts teenagers’ mental health, but there are also many things you can do to prevent it from happening. Reducing social media use will lead to a happier mood and good quality sleep and which I'm sure we all crave. As I said before, social media doesn’t have to be harmful, unless you make it.