Responsibility | Teen Ink

Responsibility

By Oumarn21 BRONZE, Miami, Florida
Oumarn21 BRONZE, Miami, Florida

There comes a point in one’s life (typically the teenage years) where one must accept new responsibilities as they approach the complexity of adulthood. The type of life you live is what determines the responsibilities you adopt in your household. In my case this means driving, running errands and taking care of the pets. These duties can be summed up in three: order, resolution and moderation.

When you start driving there are many responsibilities that come into play and many factors you have to consider. You need to find a way to manage your money more efficiently because the cost of gas is more expensive than you think. I started to create a budget for myself so that I don’t just drive around wherever I want and waste money on gas. You have to be disciplined and follow the rules because consequences are not taken lightly. I personally have been pulled over once and I did not check whether the paper the officer gave me was a ticket or a warning and due to this silly mistake I received a notice of suspension on my license if I did not pay for my ticket. This made me realize that the laws are no joke and just because I am one person does not mean people won't notice me slacking by not paying for parking. I learned the hard way that knowing the rules about driving is very important. Ever since then I always make sure to pay for parking and do not do anything irresponsible in populated areas that could result in an encounter with the police.

As you get older you notice that the saying “actions have consequences” becomes an important reality. Laws and social norms start to really apply to you. I used to get very angry and try to resolve an issue by dissing someone or physically hurting them. However I’ve learned that it no longer works without serious consequences. Just last year I was suspended for three days because of an incident where someone took my patience for granted. Since that day I have learned to resolve my issues from within rather than to cause conflict because in the end, physical conflict does not resolve the issue and does not outweigh the consequences that follow.

You can treat yourself to many things in life but no matter what it is there is always a limit. Water is the healthiest thing for your body however too much water can kill you. Taking a risk is pushing a limit without knowing what might happen. In driving this is an important factor. Some people like fast cars, like me. However the question I have to ask myself is how fast is too fast? You find yourself thinking Oh I won’t get caught, you think  Oh I'm different. But you’re not. You are putting yourself in danger which is why people don’t trust teenage drivers. Don’t throw fuel on the fire!

There are many aspects to growing up and becoming a young adult. Responsibility for your actions and your life is the most important thing to keep in mind. Own what you do because at the end of the day, that is how you will be defined. Your actions are your choices. Whatever you choose to do so with that power becomes your issue and only yours.

I’m in 10th grade at gulliver prep. I wrote this in english class. 

-Oumar Niang