Dark with light | Teen Ink

Dark with light

By Shar_77 GOLD, Shanghai, Other
Shar_77 GOLD, Shanghai, Other

Today is September the 15th.
Again, I step into the castle. This time is different.

My name is Elijah. I was born on the 15th of September and I’ve never celebrated my birthday because it is a day people hate in the village where I was born. I am turning 15.
    Where I live faraway in suburban London. It is surrounded by woods. In my village, there is a castle where people celebrate all the important events of the year, and is where the coming-of-age ceremonies of 15-year-old kids are held. It was once a library, but it was abandoned for no reason. One legend is that a tragedy happened in the castle long ago. No one knows what precisely had happened. It seems that everyone’s memory was erased. However, since then, the village lived in harmony and prosperity. But, every September, there are wolf howls echoing from the woods, but no wolves are ever found. On September, the 15th, the wolf howls sound like they are directly outside people’s doors and the wind howls a guttural howl. There are times that the town is sullen by darkness for the whole day. Every year at that time, families stay indoors, at home and lock their doors. And although no wolves have ever appeared, this gesture has become a tradition in the village. Unfortunately, I was born on such a night.
    I do not know if it is because of my special birth date that I am very sensitive to all things around me. I have a very good friend, at least that’s what she think we are. Her name is Cliodna. She moved to our town exactly four years ago, alone. It is not a common thing in our village that people move in or out. She was the first one. The day she moved here was exactly the date my brother left here.
    William is my elder brother. He left the town four years ago in a hurry. I still remember that rain poured from the sky together with lightning and thunder on the day he left. I burst into tears but there was no way for him to stay. That day, he knelt in front me, and whispered: “Remember Elijah, the truth I’m going to tell you is very important. You need to be aware, all the time. The new neighbour who just moved here, is a witch. Her aim is to kill me and you, because WE ARE WEREWOLVES.”  “But…but that’s not possible.” “I have no time to explain now, you will know all the truths when you get 15. Since then, don’t let her suspect you are the werewolf in town. You need to learn how to protect yourself.” He hugged me tightly and walked out into the darkness of the woods. I was in shock and fear, and I still feel that today. Since then, he had never came back to visit us or even spare some time to write us a letter. I had tried to run away and find William, but the wood is just like a maze that trap me inside and had no way to get out. The adults in the town told me that only gown-ups can go out. I gave up and focused more on my brother’s “legacy”. Cliodna and I had become quite good “friends”, but every time she asks about my brother or the wolf howls, I can always hear my heart beating heavily.

“Hey, what are you thinking about?” Cliodna taps me and asks, “you are going to be a grown-up. Finally.”
I suddenly woke up from the memories. One thing that didn’t change in four years is the exquisite face of Cliodna, and her straight black hair. She had been by my side and helps me with all my problems. When I was depressed because of my brother’s irresponsible behavior, she helped me through and cared for me even at a time when we were not very close. Probably that’s one of her tricks, so I always I know she is keeping something from me, but I am am keeping things from her as well.
“We’re almost at the castle, Elijah. I can’t believe you’ll be fifteen when you come out. You must be someone new.” Cliodna stops and says.
“Thank you for walking with me to the castle, and, thank you for everything in the past year.” I smile and reply.
“Don’t thank me now. Good luck with your ceremony.” she blinks, hugs me and pushes me to the castle.
    “WELCOME, ELIJAH”
    For all the years I’d spent in the castle, I never knew that there actually was a living person in it. She has blond long hair and a cherub face. She leads me to a chair that is in the middle of the hall, and says “I see you around quite often. I’m sorry I couldn’t help you, but you probably will find what you are looking for. Now, have a good dream.”
    “A good dream?” as I ask, I feel dizzy and can’t help but to faint.
    In the dream, I see something. It was a long time ago. There are a lot of people living in the village. However, it was a werewolf-town back then. Every September they turned and howled together in the woods and sometimes hunted the deer to celebrate festivals. They set a rule for themselves that they should not harm human beings. There were barely visitors from the outside.
    One day, three people emerged from the outside. One of them look exactly like Cliodna. Obviously, they came on purpose. On the third night, the moon was especially bright but the air was especially still. It was late that night, and the night was too quiet to be September the 15th. “ARH-WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO” a final wolf howl rose, but this time it sounded desperate and painful. It was the very first and the very last howl that night.
    In my dream, I see my great grandfather, he is dragging his severely injured body with a few other people just like him into the castle and Cliodna was chasing after them. However, she could not get into the castle. She shouted: “You dumb werewolves, I’ll avenge my parents, wait for it.” I see William, he is struggling as he transforms into a werewolf. Things my family and the secret we have been keeping for generations and generations started to flash into my memory. Things I never knew. Things William reminded me in the very first place. Things I Need To Know.
    “Run, as soon as you are 15.” William told me. He already knew.
    I wake up.
    I clearly feel that I am different, because I SEE things in the perspective of a wolf, a real wolf.
    I made a successful wolf howl, and hear Cliodna from outside: “What…How…How can it be you.”
    My life is not escaping and disguising now. It is brand new.