Giving | Teen Ink

Giving

November 11, 2016
By Kyliechristie1 BRONZE, Park City, Utah
Kyliechristie1 BRONZE, Park City, Utah
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I am sprinting. My heart is beating faster then I ever knew it could. I am terrified. My legs start to go numb I don't know how much longer I can go. I want to collapse on the ground. I have to keep going. I know that if I keep going I can get away. What I don't know is what would happen if he got me.  Is it worth it though? Why don't I just give up. No one will notice anyways. The man is much older then I am but he is not giving up. He has to be feeling the same thing I'm feeling. Maybe he’ s about to give up. Im starting to feel a cramp coming in my calf of my left leg. I cant just keep going forever, so I stop. Im standing there in the middle of the woods. Every single part of my body aching. My legs feel like noodles. I feel a huge impact on my back then I feel the side of my head slam against the hard rock beneath me.
I open my eyes, expecting to see the faint glow of the plastic stars that are on my ceiling. There is nothing there. I close and open again just more black. I can only tell that my eyes are open because I can feel a cool breeze rush over them. Where was this breeze coming from? I turn over on my side and feel the cold cement on the side of my face. How did I get here? I cant remember anything. I look around but my neck is so sore. I roll my head a round my neck. My neck cracks like thunder multiple times on one side, then the other. Pain shoots through my lower neck. Something was not right. I place my hand at the top of my spine. I feel a bulge. I am an intern at St. Rose Hospital. I know what the spine should look and feel like and its not like this. Suddenly, I hear footsteps up stairs and I lie back down roll away from the sound and close my eyes. I hear the door creek open like it would in a haunted house. I can start to hear his breathing. In situations like this I usually start laughing. Like at funerals or at hospitals. I start laughing when I absolutely can’t. I clench my teeth together so hard so that I don't start laughing. I can feel it coming. Im doing everything that I can to hold it back. I can hear him pacing right behind my back. “I know you’re awake” he says in a cracky voice. “If you do what I say you will leave with out a scratch.” I start to loosen my jaw. “You will stay here for three months. On the 92nd day you will bring back a replacement. If you complete this task you can go home. If not you will stay here for twice as long. At the end of each week you will bring to me exactly 100 dollars. It is up to you to figure out how but that is what I need.” I feel a tear roll down the side of my face and onto the cold cement. The door creaks open again. “It is Wednesday so you only have two more days to bring me the money.” He shouts. I lie there until I know that the is not watching.
I get up and look out the window It is about 10 feet of the ground. There is no way that I am going upstairs and talking to that guy. So I took a leap of faith. I landing on the ground and I heard the leaves beneath me crunch. I started walking away from the house. I had no plan. I had no idea where I was going but I needed to get away from there. Right as a I stepped onto the sidewalk and off the lawn I heard a very faint and high pitched beep. It is like my dogs shock collar when he gets close to the boundaries. I felt no shock. I step back onto the lawn and the go back to the sidewalk. I heard it again. I place my hand on my neck. Its a tracker.
There is no way that I am going 92 days like this. I just started walking, I saw a broken bottle on the other side of the street. I picked it up and pricked my finger with its sharp tip. I ran my hand over the bulge at the top of my spine and shivered to the thought of having to cut it out. It was my only choice. It was better then my alternatives. I slit above and below where I thought the device was. I grimaced with pain. I slit the left then right side. I felt the blood drip down my back. On the count of three I squeezed my fingers into the slit above my tractor and pulled. I was getting light headed from the amount of blood that I had lost. I took of my jacket and tied it around my neck, tightly, but not to tightly. I scraped off the extra skin and blood on this thin piece of metal. I slid it into the back pocket of my jeans and pressed my hands against the back of my neck.
I walked for about 2 hours till I got to this tiny town with only a couple stores. I walked into the biggest one I found and it was a pizza shop. I slipped the ship under one of the seats. I walked up to the bar and slumped in a chair. “What would you like to order?” said a perky waitress with curly bond hair. “ I need help.” I said. “Are you okay?” I took a deep breath “I have been kidnapped, I got away this morning and came here. He implanted a tractor into the back of my neck. I cut it out and placed it under that chair.” I said as I pointed to the left of the door. “He will come looking for me in less then 48 hours. When he gets here we can have police waiting to arrest him. Can you help me?”  She handed me the phone and said “Call 911 they can help you” I took the phone out of her hands and dialed 911. I explained what my plan was and they were here within minutes.I took the sweatshirt off the back of my head and showed them my wound. “Come with us, we are going to take you to get help” I slump myself into the ambulance. All I hear is mumbles. I felt my eyes close.
  I open my eyes expecting to see the faint glow of the plastic stars on my celling but i see the cream color celling of the hospital. I hear my moms voice. “Violet? Im so glad your okay” I had a huge bandage around my thigh and neck. “What happened?” I said in a quiet voice. ”The doctors took extra flesh from your thigh and sewed it onto the hole in your neck. You are safe, they found the guy that took you and he is in custody. They are looking for all of his victims now.” I sigh of relief and close my eyes again.


The author's comments:

I really enjoyed writting this.