The Great Escape | Teen Ink

The Great Escape

October 30, 2015
By danielhane BRONZE, North Augusta, South Carolina
danielhane BRONZE, North Augusta, South Carolina
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“I remember an old story my dad used to tell me that happened when he was a kid.” I said as freakily as possible, “would you guys like to hear it?”
The kids screeched yes, and a few got into a ball and covered their ears.

Throughout Kelsey’s life, only one thing had always been there, the cool touch of a blade. Kelsey loves to play with knives, or really anything that is sharp. Her knives kept disappearing however, so she forged them out of whatever she could find. She tries to stockpile them, but they keep disappearing too, she assumes her “neighbor” takes them from her.
Johnny works at the prison 6 days a week. His routine at the prison is simple. He delivers food to each of the prisoners in lockdown and the mental asylum they have there. He’s never even seen the people he gives food too, and he doesn't really wish to either.

Neighbor,
Please quit taking my knives

This very short note was written on the wall of Kelsey's cell, or what she thinks is her house. She used a plastic fork to cut her finger and write the note, she has nothing else to write with.
Johnny went to work the next day, and started taking food to the prisoners. He arrives at Kelsey's door, and reads what she has written. Intrigued, he asks his supervisor if he can have a conversation with her. Normally Johnny is not allowed to communicate with the prisoners, but that time an exception was made.
Johnny knocks on the door, hard. “Are you awake?”
He could hear someone struggling to get off of a decrepit bed. Her bare feet shuffled along the cold cement floor until she reached the door.
“Yes, yes, come in.” She croaked through the door. Her voice was raspy and forced, because she never had to use it.
“I can’t. I’m not allowed to open the door.” His voice is a little shaky, he had never talked to a prisoner before. His palms were even getting a little sweaty.
“Why can’t you open the door, it's my house, and you come in and steal my knives everyday, you must be able to get in?”
“Ma’am, this isn't your house,” he said calmly, “this is a prison.”
“okay, that explains a lot, well why do you keep taking my knives? They are my only friends.” He could tell by her voice that she really meant that. “That’s why she’s in prison,” he thought. “She’s crazy.”
“I know what you're thinking, I’m not crazy. I was a surgeon.”
“I have to, I have to keep you safe.” Of course he really didn't care, she was a prisoner. She had thrown her life away, but he had to say that. However, she really is crazy, so she actually believed him.
“But I’m safe with my knives. And if you can't come in, how do you always take them?”  Which was true, SHE was safe with her knives, just no one else.
“I can come in when you're asleep.” The scariest part of his job, too, he had had quite a few close calls.
“I'm begging you to stop,” she cried, “I truly need my knives.” She was on her knees begging now. He voice dripped with pain. Knives truly were the only thing that made her happy.
“I’ll be your friend, if you promise to stop making knives.” When he said this, he never thought she would accept, and if she did, he never thought she would hold him too it, little did he know.
“Really? I haven't had a friend in years...”  She was trying to hide the excitement in her voice but it was no use. She couldn't believe that someone actually wanted to be her friend!
“Well you have one now!” The sarcasm was dripping off of his voice, but she never even noticed.
Over the next few weeks, every time he brought her food, they had a little conversation. Slowly the conversations got longer and longer, they were really becoming great friends.
One day she convinced him to let her out of her cell. Prisoners like her aren't really allowed out of their cell, and if someone found out he would be in a world of trouble... but he didn't care, he had slowly fallen in love.
Whenever he let her out of her cell, they just walked around the prison yard and talked. Hardly much of a date, but that didn't bother Johnny.
After a while, Johnny stopped checking for knives, and Kelsey starting stacking them up.
On Christmas morning, she made her escape. The gates were open to bring in good food for the prisoners on this day, and she slipped out of it. Johnny never saw it coming.
Her taste for blood couldn't be stopped now, she ran to the nearest house and slammed open the door. The little kids and parents were opening their presents, and she mercilessly slaughtered all of them in the blink of an eye. She wasn't lying when she said she was a surgeon, but all she did was cut the people open, she would never sew them back up.
She ran from house to house, ruining Christmases one by one. Screams filled the air and blood covered the floors like a demon had escaped from hell.
Johnny chased after her, driven by this impossible love. She had just killed her twelfth person in 3 minutes when he finally caught her. She wheeled around and stabbed his arm like he was just another person. She was going in for the kill as he backed away, shocked.
“Why?!” his voice full of pain, not because his arm hurt, but because his heart did. “After all I've done for you, this is how you repay me? I thought we had something real! I love you.”
“The only thing real... is your death”

“Rumor has it, she’s still out there today. Watch your back, Kids”