MIs-Fortune Cookie | Teen Ink

MIs-Fortune Cookie

By Minda000 BRONZE, Camas, Washington
Minda000 BRONZE, Camas, Washington

Kalvin looked around the room at his parents and grandparents. He couldn’t believe what he’d just read. Was this a joke? Or was it for real? He read it again, “You are in great danger, leave town immediately. Tell no one.”

Earlier that day Kalvin had been awakened by his mom, a tall blonde lady, to help get the house ready for his grandparents arrival. Kalvin couldn’t understand why he had to get up so early to clean his room, his clothes were spread out over the floor and hanging out of his dresser, there was an old bowl of cereal on his desk which was next to his bed and his bed had some books and magazines laying on it and he liked it just the way it was. He slipped some jeans and a white T-shirt on then went to the bathroom. Kalvin looked at himself in the mirror, his light blonde hair was flattened on the right side of his head and shot out in all directions on the other. The doorbell rang shortly after Kalvin finished cleaning his room. He ran to open it.

A short lady with brown hair and bright green eyes stood at the door beaming with joy. “Oh my, you’ve grown Kalvin! Go help Grandpa unpack.” Grandpa was stocky and had greying black hair. He smiled and handed him a big suitcase.  After Kalvin’s grandparents were moved in, Grandpa offered to pay for a chinese restaurant. They left right away because they were all very hungry. When they arrived they ordered and caught up on each other’s lives. The waiter brought fortune cookies when they had finished and they all took turns reading one out loud. When it finally got to Kalvin he cracked one open and pulled the fortune out then read it quietly first, his eyes got wide.

“What? Kal, what does it say?” his mom ask.
He looked up at them then shook his surprised look off his face and said, “Umm, it says uhh… It just says that today will be a good one.”

“Oh that’s nice,” said Mom.

After their attention was off him he quickly looked back down and read it again: “You are in great danger, leave town immediately. Tell no one.” He then stuffed it in his pocket and shoved the cookie in his mouth.

As soon as Kalvin got home he called Luke his best friend and told him to come over. He’d read the fortune over and over again and It was making him jumpy. Once Kalvin got off the phone he went to his room.  When he swung the door open he went pale; someone had been there while they were gone. His room was a mess like it had been before he’d cleaned it. Amidst the disaster there was some notebook paper on his bed with writing on it.

“Kalvin Dee Harris! Didn’t I tell you to clean your room!?” Kalvins mom yelled angrily as she walked by his door.
“Yes Mom, sorry,” he said, “I’ll get to it.”
“You’d better. I gotta go, your dad’s car broke down on the way to work. Oh and your friend is here.”
“Hi Kal!” Luke popped into the room, he was a tall kid with thick black hair and sharp green eyes.
“Hi Luke; you remember what I said?”
Luke furrowed his brows in thought. “You mean about that dumb fortune cookie?”
“Yes, the fortune cookie. Look around the room Luke. I cleaned it before I went to the restaurant, so somebody was in my room while I was gone.”

“looks like there’s a note on your bed,” luke picked it up and read, “Leave now or else. Wow, maybe you should call the police?”

“Nah, it says tell no one.” Kalvin and Luke sat on the bed and thought. “Huh, well Luke, I’m gonna go use the restroom.” Kalvin got up and walked out of the room. He was washing his hands when he heard footsteps. He turned the faucet off and it went quiet.

“Luke you there?” There was no response. All of the sudden the lights flickered and it went black. Kalvin crept out the door. He looked down the hall and saw movement. His stomach clenched. He was scared
Kalvin held his breath and walked in that direction ready to attack anyone in the house. He made it to the end of the hall and very slowly peeked around, then pulled back quickly. Someone was standing there. He’d only caught a glimpse but judging by the mans size, Kalvin thought he could take him on if he could surprise him.

He clenched his fists took a deep breath… Kalvin booked it around the corner up to the man and thumped him on the head with both fists. The stranger staggered forward, lost his footing, and fell. Kalvin stared at him: the man lay motionless on the floor. He decided to turn him over and see who it was. He slowly approached the guy and started to reach down to turn him over when the stranger grabbed his leg! Kalvin screamed and toppled over. The stranger started laughing.

“I got you good Kal. Haha! you totally fell for it.”
“... Luke?”
“Yea, it’s me Kal.”

“But what about the fortune cookie?” Kalvin said, his brows furrowed.

“My uncle owns the restaurant, all I had to do is call him up and he said he’d put that fortune in your cookie, he’s a bit of a jokester himself and I knew you were going there because, well lets face it, your grandpa always takes you guys there when he comes to visit. It was the most perfect prank ever!”

Kalvin let out a sigh of relief,“I hate you so much right now. You deserved that thump on the head I gave you.”

“Ya, umm… That hurt.” The two of them started laughing.

For English 1 I had to write a short story and this is the story I came up with, our class requires us to publish all of our work.