Pasture of Sanity and Reason | Teen Ink

Pasture of Sanity and Reason

By EmmaClaire0823 GOLD, Bay Minette, Alabama
EmmaClaire0823 GOLD, Bay Minette, Alabama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

The room in all its superficial glory is white; not eggshell, not cream, but white; blindingly white, suffocatingly white. There is no other color; no other shade; no other hue; there is absolutely nothing, but this inescapable whiteness, which is gradually taking away everything I know, everything I care for, everything I love. This white, it surrounds you slowly, agonizingly slowly, at the pace of a star turning into a black hole and swallowing itself, and then without warning, the void strangles the sanity out of you with a unforgiving hunger so empty, so deep it cannot be compared to anything that has ever walked the face of this earth before.
Day, after day, after day, it creeps ever closer to my pounding heart and heaving lungs filled with a terror so cold it has begun to burn through my remaining sanity, which the emptiness feeds on and grows on. No one notices, no one cares, except for me; it is my sanity, and mine alone! They can’t see the monster in white as it comes ever closer, stalking its prey with the skill and patience of a tiger.
I am a confused lamb grazing in the pasture of sanity and reason, who is slowly getting too close to the edge; there is no return; there is no coming back; nothing, but the petrifying white. There will only be one thing for as long as time goes on once you wander out of the pasture and it is this hungry, bottomless white. Unfortunately, I am coming upon the vast edge. I can see beyond the pasture now, and it is filled with horrors not even my imagination could have dreamed of; the worst nightmares of the wicked have filled this place with pain and torture and things I dare not mention due to fear of passing.
Many have fallen to this white, many have grazed out of the pasture, but, I, I alone, will survive and thrive from what others could not, they cannot even imagine the pain I have endured to stay; stay here; stay sane; stay in the presence of this white. I alone have stayed.

First off, I'd never compare myself to Edgar Allen Poe, but I was hoping to go for that kind of feel. Let me know if I failed or succeeded.

RoyalCorona SILVER, Grand Rapids, Michigan

All of us fave failed to match our dream of perfection. I rate us on the basis of our splendid failure to do the impossible. -William Faulkner

I really enjoyed this short passage! It was very descriptive and interesting and I did feel a little bit of an Edgar Allan Poe feel to it, especially the beginning. I thought that it was brilliant and did notice that there was one a where there should have been an an but that's just me being picky because I'm such an English nerd. Great job!

theblondechick GOLD, Kingsport, Tennessee

I want to live and feel all the shades, tones, and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life.
And I am horribly limited.
-Sylvia Path

This was very good and discriptive. I could really see it.

author_musical PLATINUM, Torrington, Wyoming

Sweetie, if you're going to be two faced, at least make one of them pretty. - Marilyn Monroe

Interesting... Very interesting... I think you could've gone further wtih this but that's just my opinion. I haven't really read much Poe, I usually read before bed and I do enjoy sleep, but this is very good.

IMSteel BRONZE said...
IMSteel BRONZE, Wallhala, South Carolina

"Learn from Yesterday, live for Today, hope for Tomorrow" - Albert Einstein

"Brevity is the Soul of Wit" - The Which

This was a very poetic piece of work. Your handling of the words was great, you gave gave the reader a clear image in the vagueness of your prose. I thing Poe would have liked this immensely. Great job!

carolineklepper SILVER, Tappan, New York
I definitely got Edgar Allen Poe vibes. 5 stars, I absolutely loved this piece. Check out my work?

Thank you so much for that, but The Tell Tale Heart was exactly what I had in mind when I was writing this, so I did suceed. 

ajg1022 BRONZE said...
ajg1022 BRONZE, Cazenovia, New York

"Our prime purpose in life is to help others, and if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." - Dalai Lama

Excellent! I loved the description of white; I could really picture just the kind of white you were talking about. And regarding your note about Edgar Allen Poe, you most definitely succeeded! Your writing reminded me of "The Tell Tale Heart", particularly when you talked about your sanity and the color white. It was like the part in Tell Tale Heart when the narrator was going insane at the end. Very well done! Keep it up!