Dan the Ripper | Teen Ink

Dan the Ripper

By E.J.Mathews GOLD, International Falls, Minnesota
E.J.Mathews GOLD, International Falls, Minnesota

Daniel Anderson woke up to his alarm on a Monday morning for work just like everyone else. He rolled out of bed, and stumbled down to the kitchen to retrieve his coffee. He would then make his morning commute to his job in the city. It was an uncomplicated accounting job. Dan didn't mind it. He liked numbers in school, and figured that he would enjoy an accounting position.

He didn't have many friends, just three or four middle-aged men, that he would only see when they played poker together on Sunday nights. He never won much, if anything at all. He figured that he would take what he won, and start a family, like his friends. That wouldn't happen, though. Dan just couldn't seem to find the right girl. Almost every night he would try new bars, go on singles night, but no one seemed to catch his eye. Even when he did seem to hit it off, he would wake up in his bed the following morning alone, and have no sign of her number.

Some days he would sit and work in his garage, and notice that he was again missing some tools. One time, he even lost a kitchen knife. Each time, he figures that he's just forgetful, and buys whatever he lost. He also finds that he runs out of gas quickly. He would fill up his car one day, and the next, it would be half empty.

Of course, there is a logical explanation for all of this. No aliens, magic, or superpowers. Dan is a serial killer, and a good one at that. He has enough friends for an alibi, but not enough to get in the way. His job is pure calculation, nothing to prove is fantasies for murder, or ability to carve up and dump a body. In actuality, his career is perfect for selecting victims. As for the ones that got away, they didn't get away at all. Most of them were whisked away downstream.

That is where all of Dan’s gas went. There was a nice isolated spot outside of the city where no one went, and no one looked. His little hiding spot was so good in fact; the serial killer that the police were looking for was thought to be in the next city over. His environment was utterly perfect for his sick mind to thrive. No one would suspect Dan as psychotic murderer, and if anyone did, all he had to do was tell a clever lie, and everyone would believe him.

Why would Dan do this, you might ask? All pain starts with just a spark, and his was very small: a break up. That was all it took. It was indeed the straw that broke the camel’s back. All he craved was give is ex what he felt she deserved. He wanted to tear out her heart like she had done to him, but she left. Gone to God knows where. She was out of his reach. Dan’s fragile mind just couldn’t take the pain.

That was when the killing started. His friends told him to go out and meet someone else, when all he wanted to do was kill, and kill he did. He chose to do it quietly, covertly. That poor girl was victim number one. She was only the beginning.

Before you jump to any conclusions, don’t be so hard on Dan. It isn’t his fault that he’s a homicidal maniac. You see, Dan’s brain is a very special one. It protects him in ways our minds never could. When something tragic happens, it erases the memory completely. Whatever you do, feel sorry for this character. Daniel Anderson is a serial killer, and he has no idea.

Daniel Anderson is a serial killer, but don't tell him that.

GreekGoddess BRONZE, Andover, Connecticut

"The unprepared rebel dies in the fire."
~unknown

I really liked this, though I felt like you didn't leave a whole lot of room for interpretiation (however you spell that). I feel like it would have been better if you didn't come right out and say that he was a serial killer. But really good other wise, two thumbs up! (Sorry for all the spelling mistakes, can't seem to hit the right keys today!)

JordanDoyle BRONZE, Esko, Minnesota

"If people are making fun of you, you must be doing something right."
-Amy Lee

Really good story. I loved the twist at the end. It was perfect.

ElspethF BRONZE, Kirkwood, Missouri

"When one door closes you can either wait for another one to open or break in through a window"

I ike the idea here and the point of veiw is very unique and makes the story more urgent. But I feel you overuse the words "Homicidal" "Murder" "Serial KIlle" ect. when it would be better if you allowed that to be implyed by the reader, let them come to that decision on their own. But seriously love the concept.

nerdlover17 PLATINUM, Kendallivlle, Indiana
wow, I loved that

In_Love_with_Writing GOLD, Easton, Pennsylvania

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Wow that was twisted. Interesting.

GuardianoftheStars GOLD, Shongaloo, Louisiana

"Let's tell young people the best books are yet to be written; the best painting, the best government, the best of everything is yet to be done by them."
-John Erslcine

Wow, that was a twist ending.  Very creative though, and well written. Good job.