Tucson Murder | Teen Ink

Tucson Murder

December 13, 2012
By Anonymous

Tucson Murder
Jaxon

The day before your life changes forever feels like any normal day. Nothing special, nothing great, just normal.


“Sims, group 5.” That’s me. Jaxon Sims. I grabbed my backpack and strolled to the back of the classroom. I glanced at the clock, 20 more minutes, I can do this. I sat down and waited to find out who was in my group.

“Kyle, group 5.” A tall, skinny girl stood up and walked my way. Bella Kyle was well known at our school. Smart, pretty, and athletic. Ever since she moved here from Vancouver last year, you could say just about everyone wanted to be her friend. So far, I was pretty satisfied with my group.

“Jay, you too. You guys will be the group of three, you can start now.” Who? Oh the new kid. Robby Jay moved here 3 months ago. No one knows where he came from, he doesn't talk much. He came and sat down and began to start talking about plans for the project.
“So since our project is supposed to be on a current event…” He talked very quickly, his eyes darted back and forth as if someone would take our plan. I wasn’t quite sure why he cared, no one else did. I looked over at Bella; she had whipped out her phone, speed texting as fast as her fingers could type.

Bella

Message: I have Jaxon in my group!

Message: Seriously?

Message: Yes!

Score! Jaxon Sims, how do I explain Jaxon Sims? Take an amazing guitar player, a British model, and pro athlete, smush them together, and you have Jaxon Sims. His dirty blonde hair fell over his green eyes perfectly. Obsessed? No, just observant. Just then I observed him staring at me. He looked at me and then to my phone. Hmm. I slipped my phone into my pocket and pretended like I was interested in what Robby had to say. My attention more so changed focus on Robby. He was the latest addition to Tucson Academy. No one knows where he came from, he won’t share anything. At lunch he refuses to join the pickup game of basketball, or football. He just sits in the corner by the piano and stares at it, but never once played it.

Robby

Tucson Academy. Also known as the school for the rich and snooty. I hate is here. How did I end up here? Ask my step-mother. My life was perfect, just me and my dad. So I get into trouble once in a while, doesn’t give her a right to waltz her way into my family and make the decisions. My dad met her last summer while we were visiting my uncle in Georgia. She was at the same restaurant, Joey’s my favorite steak house, when my dad saw her. I’m not exactly how the exactly met, but when we left the restaurant they had exchanged numbers. Turns out she lived just 20 minutes from our 2 bedroom apartment in Detroit. Back then she seemed nice, now I see right through her. She’s a hypnotist, a liar, a player. It didn’t take all but four months for my dad to propose for her, and when he did, she convinced him for a speed wedding. After they got married in December, I started to see who she really was. All along her plan was to ship me to boarding school. Ya. Because she couldn’t stand to share my dad’s attention with anyone, not even me, his son. How she convinced my dad, I still don’t know, I thought he and I were closer, I guess not. When they told me I thought I was going to blow up.
“This wasn’t an easy decision, but it’s a great opportunity. It’s an amazingly high ranked school, top in the country, actually, and I think you would greatly benefit!”

This isn’t happening. “This is because of her isn’t it. It’s her who doesn’t want me.”

“That’s not true Robby!”

“Oh, so it’s you who doesn’t want me?”

Every time I think about it I flame up inside.

Riiing. Finally, lunch time.
Bella

Ugh, lunch time. Where the jocks become jocks with bad manners and cliques become cliquier. Ok, yea, people might call me the “popular girl.” But I didn’t ask for it, any of it. I just wanted a new start. When my parents told me we were moving to the states I was so happy. Sounds crazy right? Usually there’s a fit, or a throw down, and then a rebellion towards the parents with the whole “I’m NOT going"! type of thing. But me, I was overjoyed. It was time to leave my past behind, I’m never going back to that life, never.

I met up with some friends and we walked outside to the courtyard with our trays. When we passed the piano, there was Robby Jay, eating his lunch while he stared at the piano. The piano was his heaven, his utopia, his happiness. But why won’t he play it? Can he play it?
Jaxon

“Hi sweetie how was school?” My mom called to me from her study.

“Good” I said reaching for the fridge. I never ate lunch, I was always too busy playing soccer. I took out the bread, the cold-cuts, lettuce, tomato, cheese, and anything that looked appetizing and dumped it on the counter. My mom came in and looked at me, smiled, and without a word began to make me a plate. I loved my mom this way.
Robby

Police Sirens.

I turned the corner to see 4 police cars parked in front of Doug’s Corner and More, the neighborhood go-to store. 4 police cars. Caution tape had blocked off the parking lot, but that didn’t stop reporters from edging their way towards the action. It wasn’t until 30 minutes later that Officer Rensy stepped up to the press podium.

“There has been a tragedy tonight. Doug Miller, the beloved owner of Doug’s Corner and More has been shot and killed. More details will be release later, but it is believed that it was the result to resistance of a robbery. His family has been notified. Another thing to note; the corner of Sandy Ave. and Link Ave. will be blocked off until further notice. That will be all for tonight, thank you.” Gasps filled the air with reporters’ reactions. Our project! I realized this would be a perfect current event to follow. I turned around and began walking home. I saw Bella and a few other girls hanging around the police tape. She saw me, murmured a phrase, then fled through the back allies.
In the middle of the downtown square was a red piano. I stopped and turned to face it. I wanted to walk up to it, but I couldn’t. A lump formed in my throat and my eyes began to swell with tears. I felt like my feet were glued to the ground, and my knees froze. I turned my back to the piano and walked away. In my head thoughts were running wild, but there was one that stood out. 4 police cars.
Jaxon:

“Jaxon, get up. Something that happened last night, we need to talk.”
I awoke to my mother standing in the doorway. I threw a pillow in her direction and tried to remind her that Saturdays were “sleep in” days. She wouldn’t hear of it and hurled the pillow back at me.

“What’s so important?” I mumbled as I rolled out of bed. I sat up and rubbed my eyes. As I stumbled into the family room, the suddel hit of whispering came to a stop.

“Honey, there’s been a family emergency.” My mom explained, “Last night someone tried to rob Uncle Doug’s shop. According to the police, they believe he resisted so the robber shot him, he didn’t make it.” Wait what? My head began to spin. I sat down and stared out the window. Uncle Doug owned a convenient store down at the corner. In the dawn of the morning, reflections of the sun off the police tape glistened. It didn’t make sense! Uncle Doug is like the nicest man on the planet! Uncle D is known throughout the entire community of Tucson, even though his convenient market is the smallest found here. If you were hungry with no money, you would go to his place, where he would feed you for free. His life was practically spent inside of the shop! He even had a bedroom set up in the back. His customers adore him; his family loves him, who would do this?

I spent the rest of the day sitting by the window. About mid-afternoon I realized I hadn’t eaten anything all day. I could hear my stomach growling at me. In the kitchen I found some cereal and a bowl. While I fished out a spoon from the dishwasher, my mom turned on the television.

“We’ve been anonymously tipped and now have a suspect in custody. After checking the security cameras, it’s possible we have the murderer responsible for the case of Doug Sims. We are not releasing the name yet, but it’s been confirmed it’s a female, measured around 6 foot tall. We should have more information by the CNN hourly update.” My mother and I stood in silence.
Robby

Saturdays are the best days to be a boarding student at Tucson Academy. Ok yea, I don’t like it very much, but why not indulge in the perks? We’re allowed to sleep in, breakfast can be ordered to your room, and you can take a bus to/from the mall. That’s where most of the students spend their money (most have unlimited to spend) and their time. That is, if you don’t loads of homework to do. Bad grades mean no mall privileges. I woke up just as the clock hit 11:00. By routine, I sat up called room service, ordering pancakes, bacon, and a smoothie. As I waited for it to arrive, I showered up and got ready to go to the mall. While I ate, I turned on the tv. Last night’s murder was running through the news. A knot formed in my stomach. Last night was just so weird, and I’d hoped it was a dream.

“I wasn’t here.” Bella informed me before she slipped into the back alley behind Doug’s Corner and More.

She wouldn’t have killed him right? She couldn’t have…right?
Bella

“I DIDN’T DO IT.” I shouted at the officers. It’s been 4 hours since I got here, where are my parents?
Jaxon

“Jaxon, the news it back on.” My dad called me from the study.

“Investigators have looked into the anonymous tip, as well as observed the security camera footage. It’s still not yet determined if the suspect is guilty or not, however, other information has been recently released. The suspect’s name is Bella Kyle, who is reportedly a student at Tucson Academy. She’s 6 foot tall with auburn hair. She was last seen leaving the alley behind Doug’s Corner and More minutes after the police were notified. There was also a note left in the shop. It read “finders keepers losers weepers.” A dna and finger print scan has been scheduled. Because she is a minor, there are certain procedures we must follow. As of now, she is being held at Tucson Correction Center, but plans are being arranged to transfer her to the Juvenile Detention Center. More updates soon.” I couldn’t believe it. Bella? Bella in my group Bella? It all doesn’t make sense. There was a knock at the door.

“I’ll get it” my mom got up and moved towards the door.

“Jaxon, there’s a Robby here to see you?”
Robby

“Um hey” I muttered instantly regretting my decision to come. “I uh.. just wanted to know if you saw the news… you know. It could be good for our project. I mean I doubt Bella did it, so maybe if could be a cool angle. You know… like falsely accused and stuff”

“Yea I saw it.” Jaxon looked sad, almost mad. “look I’m sorry but this really isn’t a good time”

“oh.. uh yea ok sorry.” Of course, why would he want to talk to me?

“No I’m sorry, I mean, Doug is, was my uncle, so my family isn’t in a good position right now, but yea I like your idea.” Jaxon forced a smile as guilt flushed through my body.

“oh, I’m really sorry. Um, here.” I held out a piece of paper with my number. “text me whenever.”

“Thanks I will, see ya.” The door closed as I began to piece together what Jaxon just said. Does Bella know it’s his uncle? Wait… I’m thinking as if Bella did it. Did she?
Bella

“DAD!” I screeched as I jumped into his arms. He held me tight as I wept silently into his shoulder. It seemed like we stood there forever, hours and hours, but in reality, it was only a minute. He sat down and glanced at me worriedly. He then began to examine his surroundings, glaring disgustedly at the worn cement bench, the bars, the raggedy blanket. He seemed overwhelmed. Him? HIM? I’ve been the one locked up in here for the past 24 hours! We sat in silence. I wanted to say something but I just couldn’t.

“Did you do it?” he suddenly asked. Those three words brought tears to my eyes.

“No.” I sniffled and whipped my tears. “No I didn’t.”

“Well then that’s that. If you didn’t do it, you didn’t do it.”

“I have no proof that I didn’t do it, I look guilty as hell but I’m not!” He stared at me real hard. Then, without warning he got up and left.

“DAD? DAD!?” I followed him but was quickly pulled back by the guard standing by the doorway of my cell. “STOP!” I screamed. “LET GO!” but my screams were drowned out by the slamming of the bar doors. I fell to the floor in a puddle of sobs, hoping, praying that he would come back. Someone. Anyone.
Robby

Message from Jaxon Sims: Hey, lets talk. I smiled, grabbed my coat, and headed for his house.
Jaxon

I walked outside clutching a piece of newspaper in my hand.

“There’s a bench in that park across the street, you cool with that?”

“Sure” Robby replied.

We plopped on the bench and I passed him the newspaper.

“Another guy was murdered. The murderer left a similar note, I don’t think it was Bella.”

“Should we go visit her?” asked Robby.

“yea… actually why not?” I said as we got up.
Bella

Of all people I gotta say Jaxon Sims and Robby Jay were the last people I expected. Melony, or Chasity, or Leyla, none of them have come. I thought they would, but then again who would wanna be friends with a murderer? Except, I didn’t do it.

“Hey” they chimed as they walked in.

“Hey” I said trying not to look panicked.

“So they said they’re gonna let you out tonight.” They said casually.

“WHAT?” I leaped up and hugged them both out of excitement. “Are you serious?”

“Yea, there was another murder with similar notes and stuff, they’re trying to find them now.” Relief flooded into my body.

End of Part One.


The author's comments:
This is a short story I wrote for English class :)