Handprint on my Heart Part 3 | Teen Ink

Handprint on my Heart Part 3

November 11, 2010
By ClicheBecauseItsTrue PLATINUM, A City, California
ClicheBecauseItsTrue PLATINUM, A City, California
29 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Molly
Rob had to go next. Rob was the only guy I had ever loved, and the only one who had ever broken my heart. I knew exactly what I wanted to do with him. I also knew that he would be at school tonight, for the awards assembly. He was the star of the baseball and football teams, and he wouldn’t miss it.
I got to the auditorium fifteen minutes later to the sound of roaring applause from the crowd. I had this planned very carefully. I knew that Rob had to give a speech tonight, and that he wouldn’t get up onstage without his notes. So I had taken those notes and left them on one of the tables in the Biology Lab. He was scheduled to give his speech in about twenty minutes, and I knew he’d be leaving to find the notes any minute.
I positioned myself behind the table in the Biology Lab where I had planted the notes. Sure enough, he had come looking for them. His face lit up when he saw them on the table. Little did he know that he’d never be able to use them.
I vaulted over the table and stuck a needle in his arm. The sedative took effect almost immediately, and he slumped to the floor. I kicked Rob’s arm out of the way as I hit the floor. Then I pulled the scalpel out of my pocket.
It’s funny how I felt no sympathy for the boy I once loved. As I bent over him, ripping his shirt open, the only thoughts coursing through my mind were of hatred.






Sierra
My cell phone buzzed a reminder. I picked it up and read what I had entered in my calendar. Shoot! The Athletic Awards Ceremony! That was tonight, and Rob was expected to bring a date. I was that date. I shot up from the couch, feeling much safer now that my parents were home, and threw on a dress and makeup.
“Mom? Can I go over to the school?” I inquired. “I totally forgot that Rob’s Athletic Awards Ceremony is tonight.”
“Sure, sweetie,” my mother replied absentmindedly. “Be back by midnight.”
I got into the car and drove the 7.86 miles from my house to my high school. The ceremony was already underway. I started muttering to myself under my breath.
I slipped into the auditorium unnoticed.
“Has Rob made his speech yet?” I asked the woman sitting next to me. She pursed her lips and shook her head.





Molly
The scalpel sliced easily through Rob’s skin and the layers of muscle beneath it. I broke the ribs when I came to them and then wove my fingertips around the heart I had wanted to be mine for so long. I steadied myself with a deep breath and started to count. “One, two, three,” On three, I ripped his heart out of his chest. For who knows how long, maybe fifteen minutes, I just sat there with his heart in my hand, staring back and forth between it and him. Finally I realized that someone would come looking for him soon, and so I set the heart back into his chest cavity. I had broken his heart, just as he had broken mine.
But I wasn’t ready to leave. I crawled behind the open door and cried.






Sierra
No one knew where Rob was. He was supposed to speak ten minutes ago, and they had called his name multiple times since then. They were moving along with the program, but it still scared me that I didn’t know where he was. Then I remembered what I had discovered just this morning. Rob was next on Molly’s list.
“I’m going to go look for Rob,” I whispered to the woman next to me. She made a slight motion to indicate that she had heard.
I ran up and down the hallways. I looked in the locker rooms, the bathrooms, the nurses and the principal’s office. And then I decided to look in the classrooms. I checked the English room, the History room, the Math room. I was about to pass the Biology room when I happened to glance in. Rob’s body was there, on the hard, cold floor.
I rushed into the room and saw that Rob’s heart had been literally ripped out of his chest. Tears dripped down my face as I sunk to my knees by his side. Then I heard the door slam.
I turned around, already half knowing what I would find there. Molly was standing behind me.
“So you found your little boyfriend,” she sneered. I was frozen, too terrified to say anything. “You know,” Molly continued, “it would be a shame for you to end up just like him.”
I nodded. I didn’t want to die.
“I don’t think you’ll end up just like him,” Molly said almost thoughtfully.
My mood lifted. Was she not going to kill me? “N-no?” I asked.
“Oh no,” she rasped “I think I’ll kill you differently.”
I felt all of the blood drain out of my face as she said this. My eyes widened and my throat clogged. I couldn’t move, couldn’t think, couldn’t breathe.
Molly smiled and stepped toward me. “You look like you need a little color in your face,” she suggested. “A little blood. I can help you with that.”
And then Molly Albriton took four more steps toward me, kneeled down behind me, and put her hand on the nape of my neck. I tasted blood as she pushed my head down. Rob’s blood, it registered in my mind. Molly was drowning me in my boyfriend’s blood. I felt something soft, squishy, gag-inducing forced into my mouth, and then I blacked out.






Molly
From my post behind the door I could see and hear everything. So I knew someone was coming when I heard the footsteps in the hallway. But I was definitely surprised when Sierra Holberq walked into the lab. The shock of seeing Rob on the floor, dead, definitely registered in her face as she walked in the door. I knew that now was my opportunity to end this once and for all.
I shoved my weight against the door and it slammed shut. I saw Sierra freeze as she knelt down by Rob.
“So,” I began, my voice a little shaky, “you found your little boyfriend.” Sierra made no move to do anything, no move to run. “You know,” I said, wanting to implant some false hope, “it would be a shame for you to end up just like him.”
Sierra nodded and I saw a little color return to her face.
“I don’t think you’ll end up just like him…” I continued, wanting to drag this on for as long as possible.
You could see the hope in Sierra’s eyes as she stuttered “N-no?”
My voice went hoarse as I replied “Oh no. I think I’ll kill you differently.”
Sierra’s already pale face went chalky white again as the blood drained from her face. Her eyes widened, giving her that deer-in-the-headlights look, and I could hear her gasping for breath.
I smiled, enjoying every minute of this, and stepped closer to her. “You look like you could use a little color in your face,” I teased, “A little blood. I can help you with that.”
I counted the steps I took toward Sierra. One, two, three, four. And then I knelt down behind her. My had closed around the nape of her neck as I pushed her head down into Rob’s chest cavity. I heard a gurgling sound that sickened me. Reaching my hand down into Rob’s chest, I searched around with my fingers until I found his heart. The heart that I had broken, torn out of his chest.
A malicious grin spread across my face, as I forced Rob’s heart into Sierra’s mouth. She had won his heart, taken it, stolen it from me. She had wanted it, and it was hers.