A Cold Stormy Night | Teen Ink

A Cold Stormy Night

February 8, 2010
By LaurenAshleyBelle SILVER, Houston, Texas
LaurenAshleyBelle SILVER, Houston, Texas
6 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"There is no such thing as failure, only delayed sucess." - Henry Ford


It was a cold, stormy night as Angela Bridgeton sat huddled in the corner of her downstairs bedroom.

Her parents had gone out for their anniversary, and before leaving they had said, “Honey, if you need anything, be sure to call us and we’ll be right home.”
That being said, Angela had felt much more secure about staying at home by herself at night. Secure; that is, until the wind started howling against the brick walls of the house, and rain and hail started pelting the frosted glass windows of her bedroom; the hail hitting the thick windows like a bat striking a baseball. For some reason, all Angela could think about was the conversation she had had with her friend; Jessica, yesterday on the way home from school…
_______________________________________________________________________


“Ange, why don’t you ever sit with Amy and me on the bus, or even at lunch?” asked Jessica.

“Jess, you know that you are my best friend, and Amy is right after you, and y’all have been since kindergarten; it’s just that, well, I been wondering what it would be like to be popular, and hang out with Trish and her friends.”

“Angela! How could you even say such a thing? You and I both know that all of those people that follow Trish around just do it because they want to be part of her posse, and be invited to her unsupervised parties. I can’t believe that you, Angela Hope Bridgeton; of all people, would want to hang out with someone who just pretends to be your friend, when you have real friends right in front of you eyes!”
Jessica said, turning away from Angela

“Jess, no, that’s not wha-”

Jessica whirled around to face her so-called friend and said, through clenched teeth, “You know what, Angela, I am sick and tired of your excuses, and it really hurts to know that after being best friends for nine years since we were four; that you would just turn and walk away from us, leaving us standing in the dust.”
________________________________________________________________________

Suddenly, Angela was snapped back to the present by a rapping noise coming from the front of the house. Instead of staying where she was, Angela ran towards the foyer and looked out the front door. What she saw scared her to death; or rather, what she didn’t see. Although the hail had stopped, the wind was blowing the rain around like miniature pinwheels. Tree branches were slapping against the windows, therefore causing a rapping noise. Angela was so frightened that she couldn’t walk back to her room. She curled up on the couch and threw a blanket over her head, making sure her feet were covered up as well. It was then that she remembered what her parents had told her. Angela threw the blanket off herself and ran to find a phone. At last, Angela found a phone and hurriedly dialed her mom’s cell. It didn’t work. She then tried her dad’s cell. It didn’t work either. Angela dropped the phone, crumpled to the ground and cried. Although the Bible said, “When I am afraid I will trust in thee,” no matter how hard she tried, Angela could not seem to calm down at all. At last, Angela fell into a fitful sleep.

Angela was suddenly awakened by a strange rumbling noise. She knew for sure that it was not the wind, and she was petrified. She went into her room, opened the curtains, and she was scared out of her wits at what she saw. All she saw was a mask and bright orange eyes. Angela let out a piercing, high pitched scream.